Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How often and how long to read to kids?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: How often and how long to read to kids? Reply with quote

I have 4 kids 8, 7, 3 and 1 1/2. The younger ones do not have a large enough attention span to listen to a whole story. Should I read to just the younger ones? Or all of them separately? If so how often and for how long? Thanks, I'm looking for suggestions.
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How often and how long to read to kids? Reply with quote

gellegbs wrote:
I have 4 kids 8, 7, 3 and 1 1/2. The younger ones do not have a large enough attention span to listen to a whole story. Should I read to just the younger ones? Or all of them separately? If so how often and for how long? Thanks, I'm looking for suggestions.

You could have 2 "reading groups" so to speak. Read chapter books to the 8 and 7 year olds and read Brand New Readers or Bob Books to the 3 and 1 1/2 year olds. Read one chapter a day to the older children and one short book a day to the younger ones. 10 to 20 minutes a day should be sufficient.

I hope this was helpful to you.
-Erica
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thanks
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading Dr. Do little to all three of my boys, 10, 8 and 3. The older two listen, and usually have their hands moving (they are boys after all) the youngest plays cars, or stuffed animals when he loses his attention, but it is interesting how much he actually gets. When we get to a good part, or he hears my voice rise in excitement he will very quickly come over and be very attentive and start asking questions, or looking for pictures. I don't think we give our little ones enough credit.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I read to our kids every night at bedtime (and at other times throughout the day as well, but always at bedtime). He puts one to bed and I do the other, and we switch kids each night. Our girls are 2 and 4. We started with very simple books, sometimes just one word per page, and built up from there. The younger one can sit still for short, simple stories now (a sentence or so per page), and the older one can sit still for longer books. Lately we've been reading to her from some of my husbands old reading books from when he was in elementary. Since they are anywhere from maybe 2nd grade to 5th grade reading level, they're longer stories.
amymom
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read to your children as often and as long as you can! REading to your child helps across all curriculum. You can read picture books to your children. All children love picture books, so you can gather all the children around you. IF a younger one needs to take a break, or hold a toy, that's fine. As long as they are near you, they're listening. Also, holiday books are great because children love celebrating holidays, and that includes reading books about holidays. I have my favorite holiday books listed on my blog, http://preschoolmommy.blogspot.com. REading shouldn't just be at bedtime, it should also be a spontaneous, "LEt's read a boo." When my kids are getting rowdy, or starting to argue I read to them. It's a great way to help change the mood. Also, make sure you use voices for the characters, and plenty of inflection in your voice.
LadyJorexzill
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three kids, 9, 7 and 4, and I read to all of them. I usually read one story to the older two and a different one to the 4 year old. The younger one sometimes listens to some of what I'm reading to the older two, but she doesn't have the same attention span, so she never stays for the whole story.

Last night, for instance, I was reading the Tale of Nimble Deer by Arthur Scott Bailey and my 4 year old stuck around for about a chapter before she got bored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: