Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction for a total newbee!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketcat
User

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Introduction for a total newbee!!! Reply with quote

I'm not even sure I am doing this right????????? I found your forum and have been reading as much of the info I can absorb, so I thought I should let you know a little about myself. I am new at all of this, forums, homeschooling etc., but I have been getting an education while here.

Let me start at the beginning, my name is Cindi. I am the mother of two; Courtney almost 6 and Spencer 4 1/2. I have wanted to homeschool since I found out I was pregnant. My mother-in-law lives with us and was dead set against it so I had a hard time convincing my husband it was the right thing for our kids. Everybody in my family knows I'm not the sharpest pencil in the pencil box, but after quite a bit of research I have found that I am not alone in this area. (These others have also had success marked by a special bond. I really love that.) Laughing Right now I am focusing on my daughter Courtney. She is in private school now but I am not totally happy with the results of her EXPENSIVE education, along with all the other lovely things she has been bring home. ( Boys kissing her and so on) My son on the other hand, will be a little harder to get started homeschooling. Spencer was diagnosis with AD/HD in February of this year. As a Special Needs kid, I will have to pick a very specific program for him.

Well I am sure this is way to long so I will be done with this one note: Thanks to all of you for being willing to open up and share your thoughts, ideas, and such. It really does make a difference for us newbees.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you feel so welcome. I pray we can help you out!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we can help. ADHD kids are very interactive. They need to learn by doing (rather than reading, writing, etc).

Whatever you choose just be aware that it might be good to do it in short bursts with physical activity involved. Growing up there was a girl in our AWANA program that couldn't say verses if she was standing still. If she was jumping she rattled them off easily. As soon as a leader tried to make her sit still it was like her brain turned off.

I hope and pray that you have a lot of patience for the upcoming days... God's best.
leadingmom
User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I completely agree with Tabz ..
if your son is a bit active, that is how he will learn. I have a 15 yr old that has to take a break and run.

He can have attention as long as it is something that "HE" wants to do. He fidgets all the time and you have to pick your battles in life. If he moves, send him to run track. We have a farm and my son does laps.

He is phycally fit! Razz I do short lessons with him and when he starts to lock up, we stop and do something "Hands on" he learns best by doing hands on anyway .. so bake cookies .. double to recipe .. what is 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup .. we starting building a house last year and he really had hands on math!

Also, he has done 8 years with 4-H. He loves his rabbit and has learned body parts, common diseases and how to treat them. Animal science is very fun, in his opinion. Let him learn while playing and you will go far.

He has studied 3 types of computer programming language (because that is what he wants to do) he has done very well with it.

Find what you son is interested in and build with it. My son has done his reading with computer program books. Kind of unusual reading, I know, but at least he is reading something! I wouldn't care if it was comic books. The more they read, the better spellers and readers they become.

Good luck and ask many questions ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: