Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batwing
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing?? Reply with quote

Me again......I'm the Grandma with the undisciplined 7 & 9 yr old. I work every morning but I would be able to take the kids (one at a time) and work with them one afternoon a week. I can do more with them than Mom can. Is that enough time to do any good?? Do any of you have grandma's or grandpa's helping?? How much time do they give? What do you all think of this idea?? Thanks again for your ideas. AND....I forgot to mention that DD also has a soon-to-be 3 yr old to contend with!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing?? Reply with quote

batwing wrote:
I would be able to take the kids (one at a time) and work with them one afternoon a week. I can do more with them than Mom can. Is that enough time to do any good?? Do any of you have grandma's or grandpa's helping?? How much time do they give? What do you all think of this idea??

Yes, one afternoon a week one at a time would probably do them a world of good.

I've never had FT grandparent help, but when my parents are visiting they have done a lot of great stuff with my kids. They just fit it into daily life, whatever works out. I think you are one wonderful grandma!!!

Hugs,
Ramona
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that anything you can do will help and if for no other reason than they get one on one time with Grandma.

My MIL doesn't approve of homeschooling, but she will do fun, educational stuff with the kids when they stay there. My FIL is just a big kid himself so they build all kinds of stuff which teaches my kids all kinds of useful stuff.

Grandparent involvement is always wonderful!!
phiferan
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article from the AARP magazine about the growth of grandparents homeschooling. If the hyperlink below does not work, just go to the AARP magazine and type in the search engine “homeschooling.” http://www.aarpmagazine.org/family/schools_in.html
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2 a day a week per child would be wonderful. What a wonderful Grandma you are!!

My uncle who is like a grandad to my kids is currently teaching DS to play the cornet. Very Happy
CaithO
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and stepmom take DD1 on Fridays for art and history.

Pros: time for DD1 with grandparents, gives me some free time, generally teach what I want taught how I want it taught (see cons)

Cons: I don't like losing control over exactly what's being taught and, more importantly, how it's taught (though this might not be a problem if my dad would be a bit more respectful as my role of parent and his role as grandparent), I feel I am not learning as much as I would like, which is bad since DD1's history integrates into her reading, grammar, etc.

All told, I think it's a really generous offer to make and I appreciate the help as a home schooling mom a LOT but a word of caution: be prepared to accept your role as grandparent and take and accept guidance from the children's parents.[/i]
~Elisabeth (23 months)
mom21gr8girl
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad helps with history with my dd, 1 or 2 afternoons a week, usually for about an hour and a half. It has been great for both of them.
jennm2203
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents have my daughter in the mornings while I am at work. (I work 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
In the beginning it was a bit tough because we found we needed to discuss and communicate as far as what they were teaching or showing and how they were doing it.

Some children like a variety and to mix things up a bit... but some, like my daughter, need consistency above everything else, so we needed to all get on the same page and now it is absolutely wonderful for the entire family.

As much or as little time as possible will be a great benefit to the children, even aunts and uncles can get involved, as hoe schooling is a family thing, not just a mom and dad thing. I have found, already for us, it has brought us even closer and strengthened the wonderful family we have even more. All working together to teach the children and help guide them into wonderful adults.
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one on one time is special to a child and will do a great deal of good, especially if you spend a portion of the time together working on something that really interests the child, something that can be "special" between the two of you. I'm sure your grandkids will look forward to the time you spend together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: