Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Lunar Eclipse Feb. 20, 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knobren
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Total Lunar Eclipse Feb. 20, 2008 Reply with quote

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/13feb_lunareclipse.htm
Ceres
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! Very Happy

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, should be a Great view for those with clear skies tonight. Smile

Looks like that lets us out here, unfortunately. Sad

mark
betterley
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I hope you don't think this is a dumb question but can you use a telescope to view the eclipse tonight?
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that you might see some details on the moon that aren't lit the usual way because of the earth's shadow, but that is just a guess. I'll just enjoy the view unaided.
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched the whole thing unfold. What a clear night! It was absolutely amazing with the telescope and without.

Thanks for the heads-up, Knobren! Very Happy
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Lunar Eclipse Feb. 20, 2008 Reply with quote

We didn't sit and watch the whole thing, but checked on it every few minutes. The big-city TV news was saying it wasn't visible in their viewing area because of cloud cover, but we could even see it through the window, which was great since the kids were in jammies with wet hair and it's cold after dark here.

At the high point, 7-y-o DD told me sadly that the clouds had obscured our view after all. When I told her no, that was the eclipse she was so excited she wiggled all over!

Very Happy

Ramona
knobren
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it at its peak, but it was 15 degrees F outside here and that wasn't including the wind chill, so I wimped out. It was a beautiful clear night here though. Unfortunately, there are houses and trees that block the view of that part of the sky from my windows.
zomiglady
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knobren wrote:
I saw it at its peak, but it was 15 degrees F outside here and that wasn't including the wind chill, so I wimped out.

Us too... it was about 17 in Cleveland here and we went out twice. Our neighbors probably thought we were crazy, we were dressed like we were at the north pole. We went out the first time at 10:01pm and Dh said he saw a sliver of white and wanted to know why I dragged him out there before it was complete... Rolling Eyes so we went back out around 10:26pm. I still saw white but I did not say a thing. It was such a clear night here we saw some good stars too. For being in the city I was very impressed (I grew up in the country...)!

Thanks again for the heads up!
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was pretty cold here, but dad brought out the telescope anyway. Supposedly, just before and just after the ecliplse you can see features of the moon on the very edges that you wouldn't normally be able to, since the lightling is normally at an angle rather than from almost directly behind the earth. But I'm not an astronomer, so I don't know if this is true or not. Any full moon ought to give you almost the same lighting, I'd think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: