knobren
User

Total Lunar Eclipse Feb. 20, 2008

Postby knobren » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am

Thanks for posting this! :D
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 am

yep, should be a Great view for those with clear skies tonight. :)

Looks like that lets us out here, unfortunately. :(

mark

betterley
User

Postby betterley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 am

Ok I hope you don't think this is a dumb question but can you use a telescope to view the eclipse tonight?
Carol

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I would think that you might see some details on the moon that aren't lit the usual way because of the earth's shadow, but that is just a guess. I'll just enjoy the view unaided.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 pm

We watched the whole thing unfold. What a clear night! It was absolutely amazing with the telescope and without.

Thanks for the heads-up, Knobren! :D

Ramona
User

Re: Total Lunar Eclipse Feb. 20, 2008

Postby Ramona » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 pm

We didn't sit and watch the whole thing, but checked on it every few minutes. The big-city TV news was saying it wasn't visible in their viewing area because of cloud cover, but we could even see it through the window, which was great since the kids were in jammies with wet hair and it's cold after dark here.

At the high point, 7-y-o DD told me sadly that the clouds had obscured our view after all. When I told her no, that was the eclipse she was so excited she wiggled all over!

:D

Ramona

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:12 pm

I saw it at its peak, but it was 15 degrees F outside here and that wasn't including the wind chill, so I wimped out. It was a beautiful clear night here though. Unfortunately, there are houses and trees that block the view of that part of the sky from my windows.

zomiglady
User

Postby zomiglady » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm

knobren wrote:I saw it at its peak, but it was 15 degrees F outside here and that wasn't including the wind chill, so I wimped out.

Us too... it was about 17 in Cleveland here and we went out twice. Our neighbors probably thought we were crazy, we were dressed like we were at the north pole. We went out the first time at 10:01pm and Dh said he saw a sliver of white and wanted to know why I dragged him out there before it was complete... :roll: so we went back out around 10:26pm. I still saw white but I did not say a thing. It was such a clear night here we saw some good stars too. For being in the city I was very impressed (I grew up in the country...)!

Thanks again for the heads up!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Was pretty cold here, but dad brought out the telescope anyway. Supposedly, just before and just after the ecliplse you can see features of the moon on the very edges that you wouldn't normally be able to, since the lightling is normally at an angle rather than from almost directly behind the earth. But I'm not an astronomer, so I don't know if this is true or not. Any full moon ought to give you almost the same lighting, I'd think.

Return to “Science”