Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice for 10 month old son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llamatron
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Need advice for 10 month old son Reply with quote

Hello!!! I am so glad to have found a homeschooling forum!!!!

I have started word and quantity recognition for my son--but he is still too young to show me he has learned anything. If you need to know more about that system, google "How to Teach Your Baby to Read" (or do math, for that matter). I was taught to read this way and not only did I learn to read by the time I was a toddler, but my reading and comprehension levels were ALWAYS above my grade level---so although there is bad hype about recognition training, I know it works well.

Outside of reading and math, though, I don't know what else to do! I used to be part of Healthy Start which is a government run program that places a worker in my home every two weeks to teach me about teaching my infant--but past 4 months or so, I found information to be conflicting or not useful at all.

Where can I find out what sort of things I can do with my son to help him with fine motor skills, language development, or anything else for that matter? I can't even read him any books because he'd rather do his words (again, word recognition) instead and won't sit still for anything--and what's the point of reading him words he can't see anyway?

Also, I am completely lost on fun things to do with infants. I made an oatmeal sandbox that we play with on the floor and he seems to like that. We are getting a bubble blowing machine, and we have stacking and nesting toys. However, he seems to get bored with them quickly and gets restless inside our little apartment.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks so much for your time!
bright_tomato
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victoria,

Sounds like my Facebook group might be useful for you:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5370512775
lots of ideas here, there is even a topic there on developing fine motor skills, check it out.

btw, I also think that the recognition method makes a lot of sense but unfortunately it seems to be taking a role of a scapegoat for all the shortcomings and failures of the education system. I don't believe there is any logic in dismissing any method of education if it makes sense, if the child is enjoying it and if it is showing results. particularly if the teaching is done at home in a controlled and safe environment where you are able to watch the child's progress closely and carefully.
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victoria,
Have you heard of Dr. William Sears? He has a book called The Baby Book. I did some of the games and things he talked about in that book. You might find your baby will enjoy being carried in a sling, to see lots of things. Also, your baby is still very young and has lots of skills he will learn naturally.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what you're doing currently is more than enough for a 10 month old. Your son will learn so much naturally as he grows and develops. Just have fun with him and don't stress about it at this point.
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, it's great that you are so concerned with your son's education. It sounds though from your post that he may be a little bored with all the learning. I mean, you CAN have too much of a good thing. Wink

How about getting him outside for a bit everyday? I find that when my 2 1/2 year old is fussy and bored, a good romp in the backyard fixes him right up. Very Happy Since you're in an apartment and may not have a huge yard you might try a local park, Chuck E. Cheese, or the YMCA.

Fun things to do with infants? Almost anything can be fun for them! Make a game out of folding laundry, taking books off a shelf and putting them back, doing dishes, play cooking while you cook, cleaning, the list is almost endless.

Most of all don't stress. Your baby is only a baby once. Treasure it.
llamatron
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I got a book called 'baby days' that has lots of neat info on things to do with babies (games, things you can do with household stuff, etc). Since I had practically no experience with babies before my son, I just had no idea what to do with him. He loves the word and math game, though, he loves looking at the cards whether we're doing a session or not.
Rayaansmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victoria

At 10 months old, he's got a lot of time ahead of him!

Keep it simple. Let him explore a treasure basket - gather some objects from around the house, each of different color, size, shape, and texture. Shell, pine cone, feather, a smooth stone, a flower, a sponge, satin and velvet ribbons, a bell, wool.
Don't add anything that's too sharp, or has small detachable pieces.

Also include spice jars with a few scents in each - lemon, lavender and encourage him to sniff.
Make shakers out of jars with beans, peas, small pebbles and sand in each shaker, and let him experiment on his own.

Also, remember there is such a thing as overstimulation that can lead to boredom. Try and find a balance that works for him.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: