Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The reason why we homeschool IS in black and white...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennm2203
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: The reason why we homeschool IS in black and white... Reply with quote

Black and White
(This one is for us "old timers" over the age of 30...lol)
I miss when I was young......

You could hardly see for all the snow,
Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
Pull a chair up to the TV set,
"Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice-pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE . and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries, but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now

Flunking gym was not an option, even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after schoo l caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah ... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front step, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T; SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING.

What memories do you have?
Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not quite thirty, but I certainly enjoyed reading this. Thanks for giving me a chuckle this afternoon!
jennm2203
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my MySpace friends blogged this today and it really struck me. I grew up with the life it explains and I strive to provide as much of that as possible for our daughter, but of course, we can not control the actions of others. He actually bloged it with "Under 40 will not understand", but that is totally untrue as I am 33 and know of and experienced that life first hand.

Hope everyone is having a Happyt Saturday!
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to run around with bare feet in the common area out back. We got cut all the time stepping on rocks, and our legs were covered in scratches from the weeds (there was a ragweed forest like 5 feet tall that we turned into a labyrinth by stomping paths), and we got hot and dirty, but it was still fun Smile Then we went sledding during winter and slammed over and over face-first into the neighbor's fence, since the snow was covered in ice and it was hard to turn at the bottom of the hill. We also made our own go-kart, which my oldest brother rode down a steep hill and flipped over several times, leaving large portions of his skin on the sidewalk. There was plenty of regular tripping and falling. My second oldest brother walked in front of a swing and got knocked down onto a rock, that required quite a few stitches.

Bottom line, we never broke any bones, but anything short of that we certainly managed to do plenty of times. I just wish we'd had some nice tall trees in our yard to climb on and build forts in.

(for anyone who cares, we used Absorbine to disinfect cuts when I was little, that stuff burns like crazy when rubbed over your entire knee...)
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride my bicycle *gasp* without a helmet.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in that instance I think I would err on the side of caution.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young in recess you could play king of the mountain on the snow pile, now they aren't allowed to go on it, and the highway men were told not to plow the snow there.

You could play four-square, and jump rope which was banned because someone skinned their knee.

You could sit in the shade of the maple tree, but not anymore, because the teachers couldn't talk to each other and see the whole playground at the same time.

I still ride without a helmet, but I do get yelled at by my 10yo for that one. Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
betterley
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember on hot summer nights leaving the front door open with just the screen door closed all night long. There was never the worry of someone breaking in. Same with your car, we never had to lock it up in the door yard.
All the neighborhood kids played out side all day long; we were hardly ever inside unless we were sick. We got to run the whole neighborhood even past dark and never worried about being abducted. If a new kid moved into the neighborhood they were instantly invited to play. And those friends are still my good friends today.
We could go to the park by ourselves without the worry of gangs or getting beat up.
We weren't thinking about or having sex at the age of 13 and boys actually respected girls (no sexual remarks like today). And t.v. did not glorify sleeping with a bunch of people, heck even t.v. and movies were not mini -CENSORED- clips.
A lot has sure changed. I miss those days.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the lawyers in the world were laid end to end around the equator... the world would be a much better place Smile Nobody can have a proper playground any more, since if even one kid gets injured, the parents will probably sue. Forget playground sports. It's not terribly surprising that a large percentage of kids are overweight, there's just nothing fun you're allowed to do any more for fear of lawyers.

Heck, if your kid does something really stupid on your own property and injures himself there, you can even get pulled into court over child neglect.
barabi51
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: erring on the side of caution Reply with quote

My mom was one of the more cautious ones (I heard once that one of my friends told a new kid my parents were "very strict") but we still played hide-and-seek around the neighbourhood at night till bedtime. But we weren't allowed to sled-ride on a snowy hill street unless the street had been blocked off, because my mom knew a kid who got hurt that way, from back when she was a kid.

We also walked around the block, with maybe one friend, at the age of eight or so, to buy a treat at the corner store. I would not let my kids do that now.

I used to bike to the branch library, maybe a couple of miles, when I was twelve or thirteen. I would not let my kids do that now.

But I still think you can't possibly prevent all accidents and injuries from happening, and that it's ridiculous to try to find someone to blame when they do happen.
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I am 36, I remember when automatic doors at grocery stores were new and it was like Star Trek! In and out I would go till mom yelled for me to "come on!"

The first video game was pong, it was two lines that acted as paddles to hit a dot that was a ball. Blip blip blip, was all you could hear.

Computors the size of refridgerators and cell phones the size of a brick! Laughing

The invention of the cordless phone.

Dr. Max and Mombo. Rocky and Bullwinkle along with Under Dog on Sunday mornings before church.

Easter dresses with a hat and gloves. Some of those easter bonnets were HUGE!

Milk deliveries

The invention of MTV and Nickolodeon
Nick had just a few shows then, Pinwheel was my fave! Those french speaking blobs of clay not so much. Rolling Eyes

Remember when we first got cable and it was a new concept? Remember those recievers that were the color of manilla envelopes and had just 36 channels? Remember the cool sound you would hear when you flipped it back and forth really fast? Zip zip zip. That was entertainment in itself! Laughing
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved PONG!!!

...and, hey... I'm 36, also. *gulp*
Jill
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglisa wrote:

The first video game was pong, it was two lines that acted as paddles to hit a dot that was a ball. Blip blip blip, was all you could hear.

We had this! I rememeber thinking we were so technically advanced!

I remember our first microwave...I was a teenager and it was huge. Finding a place to put it in the kitchen was a family affair.

I remember them laying lines for cable in our neighborhood, everyone got it...except us. My parents didn't get it until all the kids were moved out.

I remember spending a good part of the day walking in the muck of a creek and getting muddy all the way to our knees...all my mom said was "you better wash that off before you come inside, I just mopped!" Now there'd be a scare of some toxic poisioning leaking in through the kids skin.

Somebody's probably already said, but we drank from the garden hose. The only bottled water was Perrier and that cost more than champange. Smile

I'm 38.
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still let my son play in the creek with our dog. Some areas it is almost waste deep. Never seen a leach or a snake and he has never gotten sick from it. He loves catching tadpoles and trying to skip stones. He always gets a bath after. I refuse to let all the nay sayers ruin his childhood! Laughing
Another thing, did you guys play in the rain and make sailboats out of news papers to sail them down the street? I bet my nieghbors think I am crazy when we are out there in our bare feet and raincoats! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: