Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal requirements if PA resident moving to Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristohanon
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Legal requirements if PA resident moving to Philippines Reply with quote

I've not seen anything to help me on this yet. My husband and I are missionaries currently spending one year here in Pennsylvania on our furlough. I will start homeschooling next year when we move back for our 3 year term in the Philippines. After 3 years, we will come back for one more year in Pennsylvania, then back to the Philippines and so on. So do I have to follow the PA guidelines and write the affadavit of intent to homeschool, and do I have to follow the PA curriculum guidelines? Or do I just go ahead and do what I want during the years in the Philippines and only follow PA laws when in the States? I appreciate any help you can give.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your official residence change? Do you retain PA voting rights? If your stay in the Philippines were only for 6 months, you'd probably be considered temporary and would have to keep fulfilling the PA guidelines, but 3 years is somewhat longer-term. The Philippines regulations (or rather, lack thereof) likely apply here.
kristohanon
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not sure about that. Six years ago we moved from our home in California to the Philippines for our first term overseas. While we were there, we counted my mother's address in California as our permanent address. We had to file federal and CA state taxes while gone, and we did vote, but only in the presidential election.

Once we arrived back in the States this last summer, we moved to PA, and changed everything to this address. When we move back to the Philipipnes in the summer, however, we will probably still have our mail and bills sent to the California address again.

I'm really not sure where our official residence is, then. When we enrolled our son in the local elementary school for 3rd grade this year here in Pennsylvania, we didn't have show much of anything from his last two years in the Philippines, where he went to a private international school, other than immunization records, and I think his report card.

Do you know where I can go to find out for sure?
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still filing state taxes, you're probably also supposed to fulfill the requirements for homeschooling in that particular state. I doubt anyone will bother enforcing the rules, however, and I can't even tell you for sure that I'm correct here Crying or Very sad This is confusing.

On the plus side, fulfilling the CA state requirements is rather easy. Annual notification and an "attendance register" are all you need, besides of course covering the same subjects as the CA public schools (English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, physical education if grades 1-6).
kristohanon
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: