Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re: my 3 year old son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Question re: my 3 year old son Reply with quote

Hi all. It's been a while since I have posted and I come to you with a question about my youngest son. We are currently homeschooling our oldest son (6) and each day during school my 3 year old will sit with us some and he knows all of his colors, can count to at least 20, knows the alphabet (wouldn't recongnize them but can say them all), can write a capital D (his name is Dalton), can write a circle, and a number 1. I think it would make school time a lot easier for me if he would sit in his desk and do work and he is showing an interest. Well when my oldest starts first grade in August or September I thought about starting a 4K program with Dalton. The only thing that I wonder about is that I already have his kindergarten materials ordered (I did them at the same time as I got my other childs so that the teacher material and all would work for the same books) I know that in 4K he would learn his letters..to identify them and know their sounds and to write them. Well the program we are using is Abeka...the first 70 lessons in Abeka kindergarten is just that. His birthday falls in August so when I start him with a pre-k curriculum he will have just turned 4. I seriuosly have thought about using the Kindergarten Abeka program just to start it and see how he does. If he has trouble then I can just stop and start it again later. I guess my biggest thing is what if he does really well and hangs in there is it crazy to have a child start first grade when he has just turned 5 years old?? I mean, I want them to do well but I don't want them graduating when they are 14...kwim? My oldest son is just the opposite..he has a late birthday so we started him with kindergarten just this past August and he turned 6 in September. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's crazy. My youngest was in a 7-9yo class when he was 5. He's 6 now and still in the same class. He's going to stay in school until he's at least 18. I look at it this way - there are so many things to study and be interested in that even 13 years of school isn't enough to cover them all. Most direct instruction stops when they show basic competence in the material - 5th graders aren't working on handwriting, for example, so the real fun starts after that.
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that does make perfect sense! I've never thought about it that way. I knew it seemed crazy to me though to hold him back until he was 5 to start learning kindgarten stuff when he was showing readiness for it now. Right now we are still just working on "desk time" and how to listen to directions and that kind of thing. He enjoys working in a workbook and Lord knows Abeka workbooks you to death..haha
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re: my 3 year old son Reply with quote

lorelei wrote:
is it crazy to have a child start first grade when he has just turned 5 years old?? I mean, I want them to do well but I don't want them graduating when they are 14...kwim?

It's not crazy.

My oldest turned 5 in January and started 1st grade in May.
My second turned 5 in February and started 1st grade the following January.
My third did kindergarten curriculum for about 2 1/2 years because she wanted to be doing school like the big kids and I didn't want her to start 1st grade before she was 5.
My oldest finished 12th grade curriculum last May, when he was 17. He's in college and doing fine. He just turned 18.
My second will finish 12th grade this March and start college next fall. She'll be 17 next month.
My third is now 13 and doing fine on 9th grade curriculum.

My husband was an ordinary public school student in California 35+ years ago and when he started first grade he was skipped ahead to 2nd because he was ready for it. Then when he started 4th grade he was skipped ahead to 5th because, again, he was ready for it. This was all the schools' doing, his parents never suggested it and he hadn't asked for it. He graduated from high school and started college at USC when he was 16. He majored in engineering and also German so college took him 5 years. He hasn't been disadvantaged in any way, and neither would any homeschooling child.

Go down to articles in the forum index and read about the Swann family.

Ramona
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "what stuff at what age/grade" was one of the reasons we decided to homeschool. Our oldest is usually doing things before he's "supposed to" and our youngest is quite the opposite. We wanted the freedom to introduce things when we thought the kids were ready for each thing. Whether that be a grade or two "ahead of time" or a couple grades "behind". So I hear what you are saying, and I don't think its crazy! Although I know its kind of "weird" to think you have a five year old doing first grade work...if that is what the five year old is ready for, then why not!? It might all even out at the end, too. So you may not have to worry about a 14 year old graduating. You never can tell what will happen!
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate it. It does make a lot of sense and I will start him while he has an interest and see how it goes...he might need 2 years of kindergarten or he might be ready as can be for first grade when he is 5. Being fairly new to this it's hard for me to remember just how much flexibility that I have.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it is crazy if he is ready. My son was 4 and doing first grade work. He just completely skipped over K because he already knew it all. Thats why we homeschool.
AFmom
User

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Earlybird kids Reply with quote

Just a thought because I've used the Abeka K4 curriculum. My oldest, who will be 5 in July, has always been very early at anything academic, e.g. she knew her ABC's by sight at 19mos, colors/numbers/shapes by age 2, doing simple math by about 2 1/2. To test the waters with homeschooling we tried Abeka K4 (there were some 'holes' in her knowledge I wanted to fill in that were part of K4, and I didn't want to jump into Kindergarten right away!) WELL, we started it in February ... and finished it in about mid-April. There just wasn't enough in it for her. We've done our own thing since then and she is reading now. That's actually one of the reasons I chose another curriculum this year -- because she still needs K-level information in some things but more information, less repetition. Anyway, all that to say, Abeka incorporates so much review that I think you'd do fine with just working slowly through the K-level stuff with your son. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: