Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please explain HSLDA position on Huckabee!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon Mom
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Please explain HSLDA position on Huckabee! Reply with quote

Why is Farris endorsing Huckabee?
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't explain it. Even Huckabee's homeschooling record isn't very good.
wakeupcall
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that the HSLDA is more concerned about the War than with Homeschooling? Does Mr Farris want a position in power? Maybe they do not believe in liberty. Maybe they just believed FOX. "RP is not electable he is a wacko and a radical fringe candidate." We can only guess....

I have lost trust in them as an organization because they should have ether not endorsed anyone or they should have endorsed all candidates friendly to homeschooling. And let people decide who they like best and who they think is more electable. They could have brought up the records on each candidate and given their shake on all the candidates positions on Homeschooling good or bad. The actions of the HSLDA only makes me question if Mike Huckabee has pandered or bribed them or in some way sweet talked them into overlooking his record and supporting him.
Huckabee has shown as Governor that he will NOT Veto a bill that puts more restrictions on homeschoolers. He will do the same as President.
gottsegnet
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is their explanation:

http://www.hsldapac.org/dnn/Home/HuckabeeforPresident/tabid/93/Default.aspx

I really think it is about fear of a Clinton presidency. That makes the most sense to me, anyway. There are a few "principled conservatives" as they note (I think I sense the beginnings of another code word I'm going to come to despise) but their whole reasoning to me seems focused on Clinton.

Or just a little from my life:
http://gottsegnet.blogspot.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, McCain isn't that big an improvement over Huckabee, and one of the two will almost certainly win the primary. Eeny meeny miney moe. We're well and truly doomed.
ClassiclyAmber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We believe that Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas, should be elected the next President of the United States. Mike is a principled conservative, a friend of homeschooling, a man of character, and a man with a mature faith in Jesus Christ. "

I think that pretty much sums it up...and for those same reasons and more, I am all for Mike Huckabee! Another clicker for us here is getting rid of the IRS and going for FairTax.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HSLDA Endorsement Reply with quote

beenthere wrote:
Governor Mike Huckabee is the only Governor to ever appoint a homeschooler to the state board of education. He also fought hard to preserve homeschooler rights in Arkansas when the democratic legislature tried to impose severe limitations.

For a complete explanation read this:
http://www.hsldapac.org/dnn/Home/HuckabeeforPresident/tabid/93/Default.aspx

No offense, but who cares if he's the only one to appoint a homeschooler? There are other issues besides this, and quite frankly, as a homeschooler, I don't care for the man at all. So no, he is NOT the "best candidate for homeschoolers".
ColoradoMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid Gov. Huckabee's homeschool record has been maligned by many who use distorted facts to create a false impression. There are very good reasons that Mike Farris endorsed Huckabee. He proved to be a champion of homeschoolers in Arkansas, and in fact, sided with them on the very law that some use now to say that Huckabee has a poor record on homeschooling! Please read the FACTS about Huckabee's homeshool record, from Mike Farris:
Quote:
January 2008

Questions have arisen regarding Governor Huckabee’s commitment to homeschooling. HSLDA-PAC is confident that Governor Huckabee is a strong supporter of home education, and we stand by our endorsement.

As discussed in this article, the Arkansas legislature passed a homeschool law in 1999, which was signed by Governor Huckabee. The law represented a step backward for homeschool freedoms.

Arkansas' homeschool law was enacted in 1985 when Bill Clinton was governor. It was one of the most restrictive laws in the nation. After Bill Clinton was elected president, Jim Guy Tucker, another Democrat, became governor. Unfortunately, homeschoolers were not able to roll back this terrible law during his administration. After Governor Tucker resigned from office because of legal difficulties, Mike Huckabee became governor in 1996.

Prior to the 1997 legislative session, the Arkansas Christian Home Education Association and HSLDA approached Governor Huckabee about supporting changes in the homeschool law. Governor Huckabee actively supported and lobbied legislators to get a bill passed which transformed Arkansas into a much more favorable state for homeschoolers. HSLDA attorney Dewitt Black wrote Governor Huckabee a thank-you letter. He replied, "Dee, it was my pleasure and privilege to get behind this effort on behalf of home school students in Arkansas, and I sincerely appreciated the backing of the Home School Legal Defense Association and the Arkansas Christian Home Education Association." HSLDA still has the original of this letter from the governor.

Only two years later, however, during the 1999 legislative session, two bad bills were introduced to impose restrictions on the homeschoolers. There was a great deal of momentum to get these bills through.

To avoid a major step backward for homeschool freedom, local homeschool leaders worked with a homeschooling father in the House of Representatives to sponsor a bill which would place some additional regulations on homeschoolers but would avoid the much worse provisions of the other two bills. HSLDA could not support this compromise bill because we always stand on the side of homeschool freedom and against government regulation. We opposed the bill and urged our members to lobby against the bill without success.

The political reality, however, was that the homeschoolers were going to have to give the opposition something or they were going to get something much worse. As far as Governor Huckabee was concerned, it was a bill the homeschoolers wanted. It was sponsored by a homeschooling father in the legislature and had the support of the Arkansas Family Council. The bill was enacted and became Act 1117.

HSLDA-PAC has spoken directly with Governor Huckabee and we believe that by his words and actions he is a firm supporter of homeschooling.

This video discusses more of Governor Huckabee's relationship with homeschoolers.

http://www.hsldapac.org/dnn/Home/GovernorHuckabeeandArkansasHomeschoolLaw/tabid/94/Default.aspx

Many of us live in states where we have been in the unfortunate position of having to support one law that may not be ideal, to avoid the consequences even worse laws. The situation in Arkansas was such a case.

I'm a conservative Christian who is in my 12th year of homeschooling. One of the reasons I began homeschooling was to teach my children how to discern truth, and defend it. We as Christians are bound to uphold the truth, and should make every effort to do so in ALL aspects of our lives. I ask you, as fellow homeschoolers, to be wise, and not fall prey to rumors and false information. It takes a lot of work, but we ALWAYS need to search for the truth, and be careful that we are not guilty of spreading rumors.
beenthere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily, can you give some examples of the other issues that cause you to not support Governor Huckabee? HSLDA supplied a very detailed explanation of why they support Governor Huckabee.

I like RP on Homeschooling and abortion. I disagree with his ideas on legalizing all drugs, pulling all military troops stationed anywhere outside the us, eliminating the Federal Reserve, opposing federal ban on abortion and gay marriage, to name a few.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beenthere wrote:
Lily, can you give some examples of the other issues that cause you to not support Governor Huckabee? HSLDA supplied a very detailed explanation of why they support Governor Huckabee.

Would you like why I don't support the HSLDA, too? That can be found in my sig and my values are the same - equal rights for all. I don't believe the HSLDA represents homeschoolers, only christians they can use scare tactics on. I believe Huckabee talks out both sides of his mouth - he says he wants to strip states of abortion rights, and then says he will allow abortion, then says he will outlaw it. Then he says he respects choice as a matter of law. He doesn't make sense.

He's a bigot, in that he bases a person's worth on their sexuality. It shouldn't matter what a person does in their bedroom, if they are in a committed relationship they should be afforded all the rights of that relationship, including marriage, adoption, being able to make medical decisions, life insurance..

He thinks Wal*Mart is marketing genius. I think it's a disgusting waste and helping to kill the economy of our country. Their business practices are appalling, everything from not hiring women above a certain level to locking in workers to creating contracts that cannot be repeatedly fulfilled unless the company moves overseas.

He wants to give equal funds to abstinence-only education, which does.not.work. Sexual education is very important, and denying our kids information about their bodies and what to do in an emergency is not okay. The focus can still be on waiting in sexual education, but the difference is kids are more prepared when that time comes.

He wants to reinstitute school prayer and supports displaying the ten commandments in schools. 1. not everyone in public schools are Christian, and should not be forced to a daily prayer. 2. Not everyone in public schools are Christian, and even those that are have different interpretation of the commandments based on their sect.

He wants to impeach judges for barring legislative prayers to Jesus. Again, not everyone is Christian and should not be forced to pray to someone they don't believe in. I believe prayer is extremely personal anyway, and should not be paraded around like a pony show.

We have seperation of church and state for a reason, and Mike Huckabee does not respect that. I find him extremely lacking as a presidential candidate.

Last edited by Lily on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColoradoMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lily, you have clearly stated your reasons for not supporting Huckabee. It seems that they are because he IS a conservative Christian, and lives that out in his life and in his public policy. Conversely, it is BECAUSE Huckabee IS a true-blue conservative Christian, that he has earned the respect and support of a vast number of Christian homeschoolers. You are entitled to your opinions, and so are we. I couldn't ask for a finer, more honest man to support for President. His integrity is what sold me!

Blessings Very Happy
brownkb
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Response to WakeUpCall Reply with quote

WakeUpCall:

An FYI: In Arkanasas, a simple majority (51%) is all that is required to overturn a Governor's veto which means if the bill passes, it is veto-proof. In Arkansas, the veto power is useless. I live in NC, the only state where the governor doesn't even have the veto power. You have to govern according to your state's laws. Arkansas and NC just don't have the luxury to veto bad bills. You have to keep them from passing or put another bill that is more palatable in its place so that explains why Gov Huckabee couldn't just veto the bill that would restrict homeschooling. They had the work with the legislature that they had to find another solution. As noted by ColoradoMom, a homeschool Dad brought forth the bill that was eventually passed as a compromise and it had the support of most homeschoolers in Arkansas because that bill was much much less restrictive than the other bills that had great support in the Arkansas legislature.
cathyw
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Cathy and I'm a homeschool Mom of nine children. I have been homeschooling for about 20 years. I live in Florida and my eldest son
Patrick worked with Governor Huckabee as a homeschool volunteer helping
with Tornado relief work with Alert. Alert is a boyscout type group formed by
ATIA, one of the largest homeschool programs for families ever started. Mr.
Bill Gothard is the founder and worked extensively on projects for many years back and forth with Governor Huckabee. He would be the ultimate homeschool president. Just ask The Duggar family from Arkansas who is also volunteering on their campaign. All 19 of them! Seems like Along with Mr. Farris , Governor Huckabee has some great support amongst noted homeschool greats. He's been working for many ,many years with homeschoolers, Just check personally with these authorities or one of the many thousands he's blessed from homeschool backrounds in Arkansas.
My son was named honorary citizen of Arkansas for his assistance at the time. Through the facilitation of the Governor, a training center was set up in
Arkansas for homeschoolers! Go to wwwmikehuckabee.com and check out his special video addressing homeschoolers under video clips! I doubt you will find that on any other candidates site! There are a lot of lies out
there right now. Please don't fall prey to them! Mike has a chance if you and I work hard to get him in the southern states by super Tuesday! Check out his site to see what you can do! He will help our cause and has the
experience working for homeschoolers all these years!!

Thank you for reading,

Cathy W. Lady Lake Florida
ClassiclyAmber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Cathy!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: