Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highschool choices for college admission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mermaid
User

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Highschool choices for college admission Reply with quote

Hello,

My 14 year daughter has been homeschooled all her life and has chosen an art institue college for her post-secondary education. I understand about the GED testing, etc. My philosophy has always been to study the subjects you are interested in and that bring you joy right now.

For high school she has decided to do part public and part home, which will result in no HS diploma unless she takes the tests. She is interested in fashion designing, history, writing and the fine arts and has chosen not to spend time taking sciences but will continue with math through grade 12 (with homseschool curriculum).

I understand that colleges and universities will accept homeschool students on the portfolio system now - meaning throughout their hs years they keep tabs on the classes, projects, extra curricular activities, etc. to show for their admissions to higher educational institutes.

I'm torn between following my heart or following the status quo in guiding my daughter at this point because of the damn diploma syndrome. The start of HS is a critical point in guiding her future educational options and I don't want her to waste precious time either taking classes that hold no value for her at this point in her life, nor not taking classes that would otherwise get her into university/college just because of the diploma.

My belief is show them who you are, what you have done and can do and where you are headed but this is a bit to out of the box for normal educational institutions.

Not to mention the fact that we live in Canada and she has chosen a college in Philadelphia. In the four years before she 'graduates' HS, she will have grown and changed many aspects about herself so researching each particular college may not serve the purpose in deciding her class choices for 9th grade.

Where do I find info about students who have gotten into school on portfolio without testing, or the colleges that accept homeschooled students? What I had heard was these students use their portfolio and are interviewed by the school for admissions.

Any other information you can provide to help me guide Hayley on a path towards her dream career and a joyful journey along the way, would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Nancy
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Highschool choices for college admission Reply with quote

Find out what courses are required for high school graduation in your state, plus what courses are required as prereqs for acceptance at the college(s) your daughter is looking into. This is the minimum coursework she'll need to do. If on top of that your daughter can do a number of advanced courses in her major, she will not only have fun, but will be more likely to get accepted at a good college specializing in that major.

Now, as for converting the courses completed at home into high school / college credit, the easiest way to do this is through standardized testing. A CLEP exam, for instance, will cost some $70 (counting testing center fees), and will mean that you don't have to keep records, and that you can be 100% sure of your daughter's prospective college accepting the results (assuming a sufficiently high score). A portfolio of work MAY be accepted at face value for purposes of proving high school graduation, but test scores are easier for colleges to work with, and the college may charge portfolio review fees that are significantly higher than what a test would have cost. I recommend portfolio review only for subjective topics (such as painting) or for topics that are hard to find a standardized test for (I did Principles of Christian Faith through portfolio review to fulfill part of my humanities requirements).

Bottom line, there are still subjects which your daughter will have to study, even if she doesn't feel they're useful, but she should be able to escape most of the "fluff" by being a little creative. And testing is almost always preferable except for subjects that there are no tests for.
mermaid
User

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your very detailed reply.

I haven't heard of CLEPs but they sound like the way to go. Where do I find out more about them? Would they have tests for the particular courses of study we are engaging in? We use an Oak Meadow curriculum and the psychology course she is taking is 7 habits of highly effective teens. This isn't quite standard psychology. She ist taking algebra, but would the CLEP test what she is learning in algebra? And history . . . we are doing world history which obviously covers the span of a several centuries - how would the CLEP test for that, or are they just for standardized high school classes?

Thank you for the rest of your information as well.

Nancy
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Highschool choices for college admission Reply with quote

Hmm. While what you're doing is certainly educational, it may be hard to get high school / college credit for it - either through portfolio review or testing - if it doesn't overlap any specific course description. The algebra will probably be fine, and for history you can take several more specific exams such as

CLEP:
U.S. History I: Early Colonizations to 1877
U.S. History II: 1865 to the Present
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present

Or AP:
European History
U.S. History
World History (yes, they do have it!)

Psychology, however, will probably have to be restudied for the specific purpose of taking and passing the exam. The good news is that psychology is relatively easy - I doubt it will take more than a week or two to learn well enough to get a good score. I certainly didn't have much of a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: