Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools of the ridiculous:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this somewhere else, but it seems to fit here...I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago telling me about the mandatory early childhood screening they do for kids entering kindegarten or 1st grade. They set an appointment up for us, so if I choose to cancel, I have to call and explain (actually, I did call, and the school nurse told me I could homeschool AND get the ecs; I have little backbone...I'm still debating calling her back Sad ). My daughter is 3 1/2. I have a really good school district here, but still, it makes me mad how there's a loophole to get them in there younger and younger. I wasn't expecting to have to "declare" ourselves as homeschooler's until she was 7.
bruisin
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are kidding me! That is crazy!
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your state law says 7 then it is 7. In that post you used the words "mandatory early childhood screening they do for kids entering kindegarten or 1st grade." Entering K is the key there, your child isn't entering K so it isn't mandatory. I would ignore it then if somebody actualy calls you you simply say my child is not going to K here.
Never never give more then the state law actualy states.
MrBill
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Reply with quote

gregos wrote:

Full day kindergarten is one of those trends that I will just never understand. There is also research that shows there is no measurable improvement in test scores of full day kindergarten students vs. their half-day peers.

Its pretty simple really, its about money, not your child's education.
For instance in Colorado the state pays $5,500 for every student, full or part time, except kindergarten, and the full day kindergarten charges, its basically baby sitting. If the kid is on medication they get even more money, so everyone with a brain has to have ADD.

Greed motivates everything associated with our government.

The day our government has the best interest of children at heart, hell will freeze over and have a two for one ice cream cone sale.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, as if a third grader is doing crystal meth. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes What is dumber than an administrator?, two administrators Exclamation

The kids don't know its drugs they just know its candy. Doesn't matter if you don't believe me, because it happened at my kid's last school.

I've found a link about this http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/candymeth.asp
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a story to add...I heard it this weekend.

A relative of mine teaches 5th grade math & social studies. They just finished Ohio proficiency tests here. Her class scored lower than the national average. She talked to the 4th grade math & social studies teacher about it. From what I understand, the proficiency test a couple of years ago focused more on math than social studies, so the next year (last year) the 4th grade teacher taught mostly math and hardly touched on social studies at all. Then this year, for the same reason, the 5th grade math/social studies teacher (my relative) taught all or mostly math, without much or any social studies.

Guess what? This year's proficiency exam focused on social studies. And she doesn't get it--she doesn't see where she went wrong. She (and other teachers she talks about, as well as other teachers I know) teach to the test, specifically to the proficiencies. About a month or two before the proficiencies, they start cramming--trying to prepare their students for what they think will be on the exam, instead of just teaching math & social studies throughout the year, and letting the proficiency exam find out how much the student learned.

She is a big reason why I decided to homeschool.
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a shame. Confused
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the root problem is the students weren't learning either subject properly, otherwise cramming wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. But a lot of people still look at this and try to do away with testing entirely - as if that will improve anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: