At what age are they ready?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gonetocarolina
User

At what age are they ready?

Postby gonetocarolina » Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 am

Janet Tatman
User

The best time to start

Postby Janet Tatman » Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 pm

I think it is great you want to teach your child. With my four children, I found that teaching through play for the first several years is best. A few hours of formal schooling didn't begin until they were 4 or 5. The old board games of CandyLand and Hi Ho Cherrio were some of my children's favorite color and counting games. We also spent alot of time on nature walks which generated their natural curiousity about the things around them.

As young as your child is now, I would possibly begin with colorful and educational type toys to stimulate his senses. Large legos and shape recognition toys would also be helpful.

Most of all, shut the TV off and read to your child as much as possible. Your local library is a great place to start. Let your child enjoy music and sound learning toys as well.
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

birdy
User

Postby birdy » Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Its a little early, but you can also start with games to help develop the fine motor skills. At 10 months and after, they will be working on the "pincer" grasp (index finger to thumb).

So games like, "put-in." For example, put Cheerios in the egg carton.

Or put folded sock balls into the laundry basket. The idea is to come up with a size that your toddler can grasp and have them do it.

Later on, when the child is older (1 1/2 and up) you can modify this even further. Have a pretend bank, (aka, 2 or 3 cup yogurt container with slot cut in the lid, and button coins) and have fun putting the buttons into the bank. You could also sort things like buttons into egg cartons. Working on sorting and noticing differences in shape and colour. Of course, it goes without say to have supervision! Trips to the emerg department, while educational, are best not as the result of your teaching attempts!

At 10 months, you should also work on object permanence. Which is, can your child remember where an object is if you: hide it under a blanket, or in a cupboard. Can they do this if you show them, remove them from the room and then bring them back.

You can also work on their ability to lean forward and reach for objects just beyond their grasp. That is, if they can sit up already. At 10 months my son was walking, much to our chagrin.

Right now, focus on the physical stuff! It can be so much fun! You can also teach them simple signs right now. Often at this stage a childs ability to understand words is growing by leaps and bounds, but they are left with the words, "ma-ma, mo, etc." It will be easier for you if you teach a few signs (more, please, thank you, drink, food, sleep) now. It really is simple. First, learn a simple version of the sign. Then, when you say the word to your child show the sign. Help them do the sign if they are willing. I did this with both of our children, a friend did it will all nine of hers. This will help you a lot when the child is a toddler!

Roberta

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 pm

Repetition. Make it fun and interesting. Read fun books about numbers, shapes, colors, letters, etc. Don't make it too stressful, or worry that he isn't "getting it" when you have shown him the color red 50 times and he still calls it blue. You want to show him that learning is fun. They are never too young to start learning, but do it in a way that makes it enjoyable for the two of you.

Aspie
User

Postby Aspie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:27 pm

Learning should not be too stressful at this age, or they will learn to hate it.

Papillon Mom
User

Postby Papillon Mom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:39 pm

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”