Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grading Papers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Grading Papers Reply with quote

Im new to all the homeschool stuff but Im gonna start it within next month or so, and Im wondering what i would do to grade papers if I wanted to use the school system with a's and b's. How would I calculate that? ex: 5 out of 20 wrong = ?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grading Papers Reply with quote

5 out of 20 wrong = 75% correct, which is usually a C.

You divide 5.00 by 20. The answer is .25 or 25% wrong.

Depending on your grading scale, maybe
90-100% = A
80-89% = B
70-79% = C
60-69% = D
0-59% = F

HTH,
Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, isn't 69 usually the F cut-off? A-D are generally compressed a bit tighter than that, at least in my experience.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's how it was in High school for me. anything below a 60 was an F.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
seven
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it really depends on the school or perhaps more on location, timeframe, stuff like that....when i was in school, anything above a 50% was a pass, below 50% was a fail....
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
isn't 69 usually the F cut-off? A-D are generally compressed a bit tighter

That's why I said, "depending on your grading scale." When I was very young I was in a place where A was 93-100%, and so on. But throughout most of my life the scale I used above was the most common one.

Ramona
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Hmm, isn't 69 usually the F cut-off? A-D are generally compressed a bit tighter than that, at least in my experience.

Virginia, as an example, has the higher scale--93-100=A, etc; California has the lower scale: 91-100=A, 81-90=B, 71-80=C, 61-70=D, below 61=Fail. IOW, there isn't a universal scale.

Of course, California high schools give 10 credits per year per course instead of 1; it must be part of wanting the students to feel good about themselves, lol.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the courses I've taken were just more strict in their grading requirements.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When I was in school anything below a 69 was an F, but that was when they still gave F's. The schools around me now give E's. Apparently F's hurt the kids feelings out here. The schools I went to used a 7pt grading scale, but that was in the Midwest near STL. Last time I checked they still used that scale in the schools where I grew up.

Quote:
Im new to all the homeschool stuff but Im gonna start it within next month or so, and Im wondering what i would do to grade papers if I wanted to use the school system with a's and b's. How would I calculate that? ex: 5 out of 20 wrong = ?

I think you are going to get a whole list of ways to grade. Everyone has their own method. What I do is divide the number correct by the total number. So for example, if the paper had 32 problems and they missed 7 then I would divide 25/32 which would give them a 78%. I have a grade book that then averages my grades for me and I simply print it off every few months so their father can see their grades.

Hope you find a method that works for you.
knobren
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Grading Papers Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
5 out of 20 wrong = 75% correct, which is usually a C.

You divide 5.00 by 20. The answer is .25 or 25% wrong.

Depending on your grading scale, maybe
90-100% = A
80-89% = B
70-79% = C
60-69% = D
0-59% = F

HTH,
Ramona

This is the scale that I use in my college classes. However, where I went to high school, and I think college, too, we didn't have Ds. Anything below 69.5% was an F. It still seems strange to me that someone can "pass" a course having only learned (or turned in enough homework for, attended enough labs, etc.) 60% of the material they were exposed to.

Since you have more time to redo materials until your kids really get it, I would expect that they would probably earn higher grades. In formal classrooms, it can be difficult to slow down long enough for everyone to catch up without losing the interest of the kids who pick things up faster.
Of course, just like formal instructors, you might worry about balancing breadth of topics versus depth. "If I slow down maybe they will retain more, but then they won't be exposed to as many topics." We all battle with that one! Smile
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use the grading scale mentioned above in our school system:
90-100% = A
80-89% = B
70-79% = C
60-69% = D
0-59% = F

As mentioned before...it is very simple to calculate the grade on a particular assignment by dividing the number correct by the total number of problems. This will give you the percentage correct. It gets a little fuzzy when grading essays and written work.

You may want to think about how you are going to come up with an overall average for the course though. I assign percentages to all of the different portions of the course. For example, tests are worth 30%, quizzes 25%, homework 20%, etc. Just make sure your percentages add up to 100%.

Then I take all of the tests for the quarter, average them together, get one number and then multiply it by 30% (0.30). I do the same for the quizzes, homework, labs, etc. Once you have all of the partial scores for each section, then add them up. This will give you a weighted average for the entire course.

Ex. Pretend a student earned the following:
Section------Avg Score------Weight-------Partial Score
Tests------------72-------------30%----------21.6
Quizzes---------83-------------25%----------20.75
Labs-------------80-------------25%----------20.0
Homework------93-------------20%----------18.6

------Overall Grade (sum) for course:------80.95

According to the grading scale above, this would fall in the B range.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: