Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Languages and college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esdena
User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Foreign Languages and college Reply with quote

As a language instructor, I know how important it is for students to have some foreign language background BEFORE they start attending college. Even though Spanish 101, French 101 etc have no pre-requisites, students who have at least a year in any foreign language (high school ) do better than the others.
Classes usually go fast and the instructor has to cover a lot of material in a relatively short time.

I highly recommend home schoolers to start their foreign language learning in high school. A foreign language is mandatory in many programs (including Medicine and Law --but not Engineering).
Good luck!

Last edited by Esdena on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought most good colleges required two years of a foreign language for admission? I did two years of Latin, and my siblings have done 2-4 years of Latin, French, or Spanish (or even Japanese, in the case of one of my sisters). Spanish definitely seems to be the most useful second language to learn these days, however, considering the demographic shifts.
Esdena
User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a recent requirement. I've taught at the State University of New York, Rutgers, and Dickinson College among others and many of my students did not bring any previous background in foreign languages.

I am not teaching at the moment because I moved to Europe and lived there for several years and I am not working in academia now that I moved back to the US.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that some states such as California require two years of foreign languages, and any liberal arts track will require it as well.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esdena wrote:
It must be a recent requirement. I've taught at the State University of New York, Rutgers, and Dickinson College among others and many of my students did not bring any previous background in foreign languages.

I am not teaching at the moment because I moved to Europe and lived there for several years and I am not working in academia now that I moved back to the US.

Glad to see you no longer feel the need to cyber shout! Yay!

In our state, for an Academic Advanced Degree, i.e. to go to college, you need two years of the same language and to make at least a B.

Stellar
Esdena
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Cyber shouting Reply with quote

I was not cyber shouting as you put it. If you read the posting carefully you will see that those are NOT capital letters.
Because I have problems reading without glasses I just used a bigger font size. But one of the things that I've learned (the hard way) is that you rarely please every one even in things as trivial as this.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you felt attacked by my comment.

I see many people online who write in all caps. That and many other things make it difficult for me to read as well as tweaks my c"orrect form sensibilities" from when I was in school. I've carried these ideas throughout my life.

Of course, when I was in school we had no computers. LOL. I try to gently help people write in a slightly better form that I can read. I don't mean to offend.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I thought most good colleges required two years of a foreign language for admission?

That's what I was told all the way through high school back in the early 80s.

In the last 5 years I've seen several news items about various college systems around the country fiddling around with the foreign language requirement. Some places keep reducing it, others want to keep it tight even as other admissions standards relax.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, regarding larger font size - you can set the font size on your browser to a larger percentage if you have trouble reading it at 100%.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: