Foreign Languages and college

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Esdena
User

Foreign Languages and college

Postby Esdena » Sat May 19, 2007 5:08 pm

As a language instructor, I know how important it is for students to have some foreign language background BEFORE they start attending college. Even though Spanish 101, French 101 etc have no pre-requisites, students who have at least a year in any foreign language (high school ) do better than the others.
Classes usually go fast and the instructor has to cover a lot of material in a relatively short time.

I highly recommend home schoolers to start their foreign language learning in high school. A foreign language is mandatory in many programs (including Medicine and Law --but not Engineering).
Good luck!
Last edited by Esdena on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat May 19, 2007 6:01 pm

I thought most good colleges required two years of a foreign language for admission? I did two years of Latin, and my siblings have done 2-4 years of Latin, French, or Spanish (or even Japanese, in the case of one of my sisters). Spanish definitely seems to be the most useful second language to learn these days, however, considering the demographic shifts.

Esdena
User

Postby Esdena » Sat May 19, 2007 8:20 pm

It must be a recent requirement. I've taught at the State University of New York, Rutgers, and Dickinson College among others and many of my students did not bring any previous background in foreign languages.

I am not teaching at the moment because I moved to Europe and lived there for several years and I am not working in academia now that I moved back to the US.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat May 19, 2007 8:52 pm

I'm pretty sure that some states such as California require two years of foreign languages, and any liberal arts track will require it as well.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed May 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Esdena wrote:It must be a recent requirement. I've taught at the State University of New York, Rutgers, and Dickinson College among others and many of my students did not bring any previous background in foreign languages.

I am not teaching at the moment because I moved to Europe and lived there for several years and I am not working in academia now that I moved back to the US.

Glad to see you no longer feel the need to cyber shout! Yay!

In our state, for an Academic Advanced Degree, i.e. to go to college, you need two years of the same language and to make at least a B.

Stellar

Esdena
User

Cyber shouting

Postby Esdena » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am

I was not cyber shouting as you put it. If you read the posting carefully you will see that those are NOT capital letters.
Because I have problems reading without glasses I just used a bigger font size. But one of the things that I've learned (the hard way) is that you rarely please every one even in things as trivial as this.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm sorry you felt attacked by my comment.

I see many people online who write in all caps. That and many other things make it difficult for me to read as well as tweaks my c"orrect form sensibilities" from when I was in school. I've carried these ideas throughout my life.

Of course, when I was in school we had no computers. LOL. I try to gently help people write in a slightly better form that I can read. I don't mean to offend.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Theodore wrote:I thought most good colleges required two years of a foreign language for admission?

That's what I was told all the way through high school back in the early 80s.

In the last 5 years I've seen several news items about various college systems around the country fiddling around with the foreign language requirement. Some places keep reducing it, others want to keep it tight even as other admissions standards relax.

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm

BTW, regarding larger font size - you can set the font size on your browser to a larger percentage if you have trouble reading it at 100%.

Return to “High School / College Prep”