Best presidential candidate for homeschoolers?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Best Presidential Candidate For Homeschoolers?

Ron Paul
48%
Mike Huckabee
36%
Fred Thompson
8%
Rudy Giuliani
No votes
John McCain
4%
Mitt Romney
4%

Total votes: 25

OKforHuckabee
User

Postby OKforHuckabee » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:16 pm

On Immigration: Mike Huckabee has been endorsed by Jim Gilchrist, the Founder of the Minuteman Project.

Check it out here.
Mike Huckabee: the Homeschooler's BEST Choice!

www.mikehuckabee.com

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:09 pm

danamarie wrote:Theodore, regarding your comment of HSLDA supporting Huckabee because he's doing well in the polls:

I received an email from HSLDA many months ago - I believe it was either Feb. or March 2007 - announcing their support for this candidate. I had never even heard of him at the time. He was way down the list when HSLDA took a stand to support him...FYI :)

If so, my bad. I don't really understand why HSLDA would endorse him otherwise, though - he's not the only candidate friendly to homeschoolers.

Of course, Chuck Norris has also endorsed Huckabee, maybe he roundhoused them into submission :)

wakeupcall
User

Postby wakeupcall » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:00 pm

Why did the HSLDA endorse Huckabee?

In endorsing Huckabee, the HSLDA said that he is:
1) "a principled conservative"
2) "a friend of homeschooling"
3) "a man of character"
4) "a man with a mature faith in Jesus Christ."

These are the four reasons the HSLDA gave for supporting Mike Huckabee. Incidentally, this was the actual order in which they gave them. Let's examine each one, in order of my own priorities:

link
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/whitinger1.html
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/homeschoolers
http://www.christiansforronpaul.com/
"...using those taxes to fund federal education programs denies parental control of education by denying them control over their education dollars..." RP

upnylou
User

Huckabee is no friend of Homeschoolers

Postby upnylou » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 am

Why did the HSLDA endorse Huckabee?

In endorsing Huckabee, the HSLDA said that he is:
1) "a principled conservative"
2) "a friend of homeschooling"
3) "a man of character"
4) "a man with a mature faith in Jesus Christ."

These are the four reasons the HSLDA gave for supporting Mike Huckabee. Incidentally, this was the actual order in which they gave them. Let's examine each one, in order of my own priorities:

This is honestly quite hard to believe. Huckabee's record is clearly on bringing in some of the most restrictive homeschooling regulations in the nation (while governor of AR), and this does not bode well for us if he is elected president.

The thing is - HSLDA even agrees with this! Read their statement on his signing into law:

Home Schoolers Lose Ground with New Law
"The enactment of House Bill 1724 on April 5, 1999, gives Arkansas the unique distinction of becoming the first state in the nation to add restrictions to its existing home school law."

So I truly do not understand how they could endorse him. Something is majorly wacky about this! IOW .. I smell a rat.

It appears many homeschoolers are unaware of what he's actually done because of much, recent 'lip service' to the contrary. But the truth must be told.

Please - DO NOT BE DECEIVED! This man is no friend of homeschoolers. Please read about his record below. I'm sure it will open many people's eyes real wide.

Huckabee's Homeschooling Record

Mike Huckabee was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1996. In 1997, he helped ease restrictive homeschool laws in Arkansas. While governor, Huckabee also appointed the first homeschooler to the Arkansas state school board. As a homeschooler, I give Mike Huckabee credit for these achievement. It looked like he was off to a great start in Arkansas. That success, however, was short lived. Just two years later, in 1999, Mike Huckabee signed into law House Bill 1724 that undid many of those initial gains.

Here’s how the Homeschool Legal Defense Asssociation (HSLDA), Court Report (hslda.org/courtreport/v15n3/V15N3AR.asp?PrinterF riendly=True) tells it,

Home Schoolers Lose Ground with New Law
"The enactment of House Bill 1724 on April 5, 1999, gives Arkansas the unique distinction of becoming the first state in the nation to add restrictions to its existing home school law."
At a time when many states were easing requirements, Arkansas was sadly moving in the wrong direction. Huckabee signed HB 1724, known as Act 1117 that made homeschooling MORE restrictive. HSLDA’s website provides an overview of the new restrictions here (hslda.org/courtreport/v15n3/V15N3AR.asp?PrinterF riendly=True) and comments:

"Arkansas is now one of only 12 states to impose a deadline for beginning home schooling or requiring parents to provide advance notice to public school officials of their decision to do so. Because of this restriction, parents who encounter intolerable conditions at the public school, such as imminent danger to the safety or welfare of their child, will have to wait at least 14 days before withdrawing the child to begin home schooling or else face truancy charges for unexcused absences during the 14-day waiting period. No such restriction exists for parents who decide to immediately remove their children to attend a private or parochial school in Arkansas. This raises serious issues regarding the right of parents to direct the education of their children and equal protection of the law as guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment to the
United States Constitution."
HB 1724 was introduced because Democrats in the legislature threatened to impose even more restrictive measures. HB 1724 was a compromise measure introduced by a homeschooling father to keep that from happening.

HSLDA opposed the compromise, "Home School Legal Defense Association opposes any effort to increase state regulation of home education and did not support H.B. 1724."

Despite HSLDA’s opposition, the bill was passed by the legislature. That left it up to Governor Huckabee to defend the rights of homeschool parents in Arkansas. But he didn't.

Huckabee and his supporters claim that signing the bill was his only option. But is that really true? No. He could have stood on principle and used his veto powers and challenged the legislature to override the veto. Or at the very least, he could have let the measure pass without his signature signaling his opposition to the state restricting the rights of homeschool parents. He did neither. Instead, he signed the law that added restrictions to homeschooling in Arkansas.

Huckabee’s signature demonstrates that he is not opposed to compromising our freedom to homeschool in the face of Democrat pressure. Do we want a President who will so easily surrender his principles in the face of sure opposition by Democrats in Congress?

As a homeschooler, I want a President that is not afraid to fight against and veto any legislation that would compromise our ability to homeschool no matter who introduces it. Our children do not belong to the state and no parent should have to wait 14 days before pulling their child out of a government school.

Despite Huckabee’s record on homeschooling as a Governor of Arkansas, HSLDA-PAC (hsldapac.org/dnn/Home/HuckabeeforPresident/tabid /93/Default.aspx) has endorsed Mike Huckabee for President. But when you consider that he also gained the endorsement of the liberal education group, NEA – New Hampshire (firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/05/497082.as px), it makes you scratch your head in bewilderment. How did Huckabee manage to convince Christian homeschoolers he’s "one of usâ€

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:31 am

Thank you for that, upnylou. As a homeschooler, there is no way I would trust any of the candidates listed in the poll at the top of this post, and double no for anyone endorsed by the HSLDA.

I tend to find that the candidates who make no remarks on the issue are the ones to trust not to change it. They don't seem to need to 'fix' it, therefore it doesn't even enter into their agenda.

Besides, I really want a candidate who is not a bigot, can manage to install ethics in his OWN family before attempting mine, and puts rights for all above personal beliefs.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

upnylou
User

Postby upnylou » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:13 pm

lilly,
I really want a candidate who is not a bigot, can manage to install ethics in his OWN family before attempting mine, and puts rights for all above personal beliefs.

i agree. and THAT is supposed to be the purpose of a constitutional republic form of government .. to protect the rights of everyONE vs the mob rule of the majority.

huck, by his own voting record, has not respected those rights. in spite of hslda recommendations.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Mary Pride weighs in:
http://www.home-school.com/news/huckabee.html

On a personal note, I'm still debating whether to vote for the best candidate (Ron Paul), or on who I think has the best chance of winning (Romney, since I'm not voting Huckabee). My parents are voting Ron Paul.

upnylou
User

Landslide

Postby upnylou » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:00 pm

theodore, maybe this will help you ... enjoy.

Landslide - by Jake Kellen Constitution Video Re... (more) Added: January 03, 2008 .. 19 minutes ago! its one awesome video/music production on rp.

if this doesnt get ya going .. NOTHING WILL!

http://digg.com/lbv.php?id=4687858&ord=1

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:24 pm

We just added a poll to our homepage for this:
http://www.home-school.com/poll/?id=president2008
Last edited by Theodore on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregos
User

Postby gregos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:20 am

I think Ron Paul is the best option. He is very open about his support of homeschooling. I don't believe that Giuliani or Romney would be good options for homeschool voters. They would talk the talk, but in the end, wouldn't abolish the department of education or try and support vouchers. I am impressed that Huckabee appointed a homeschooling mom to the state board of education, that definitely makes me raise an eye brow about him.

Ron Paul won't win the election, but if he earns enough delegates, the winner could through a few things his way, such as appointing him to head a given government department, or to promise to appoint another like minded libertarian-republican to a key position. I would love to see a person like that in charge of a big department, and stripping it down year by year to a better, smaller level. 8)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:50 am

That's a good idea. Give Ron Paul the Department of Education :) Or put him in charge of shutting down the Infernal Revenue Service.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:21 am

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashcnn.htm

If this is to be believed, the only Republican candidate with a good chance of winning the overall election is McCain. He's only a tiny bit behind either Obama or Clinton (either of which could win the primary). Romney is doing pretty badly, however, and I notice they didn't even poll for Ron Paul. Would be funny if everyone decided they didn't like the available selection and went and voted Ron Paul at the last second.

wakeupcall
User

Postby wakeupcall » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Parental control of child rearing, especially education, is one of the bulwarks of liberty. No nation can remain free when the state has greater influence over the knowledge and values transmitted to children than the family.
INTRODUCTION OF THE FAMILY EDUCATION FREEDOM ACT — HON. RON PAUL

I agree and RP is the only one saying it.

"...using those taxes to fund federal education programs denies parental control of education by denying them control over their education dollars..." RP

gregos
User

Postby gregos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 am

"Electability" is a tricky thing to consider. If Ron Paul finishes high enough in the middle, he will have delegates to use as bargaining chips in order to brought on board. It wouldn't be unusual for the party nominee to acknowledge his power and strong fundraising by appointing someone with a libertarian perspective to the cabinet or in helping to influence policy. Honestly, I'm going to switch my affilation to vote for the guy, he is just too good of a candidate to pass up. The others have their own flaws and I'm not too impressed with any of them.

For the most part, the issue is about state control. It would do us all well to join HSLDA and keep our eyes really peeled towards our state legislatures. It wouldn't hurt to have a statewide:"Take a senator to homeschol" day. Such efforts would do us well when some nanny-state utopican gets in their head that: "All kids will....."
...we have come to realise that for most men the right to learn is curtailed by the obligation to attend school-Lenin

A tax supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state. -Isabel Patterson

wakeupcall
User

Postby wakeupcall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 pm

[quote]Legislative Forecast for 2008 by Ron Paul.

Congress is re-convening this coming week and I would like to take this opportunity to give my legislative forecast for the coming year. Here are a few things we can expect to see from Washington .

First and foremost, we will see ramped up spending for the warfare/welfare state. There is no resolution or end in sight on the Iraq occupation. While the American people try repeatedly to communicate to Washington that enough is enough, there still remains little political will in Washington to bring the troops home. The war will continue to require mountains of taxpayer and newly printed dollars, and our economy will sink under the burden. If we are manipulated into a second war, the effects on our economy will be truly devastating. Welfare and entitlement programs will also be ramped up as the economy flounders and budgets in American households are strained.

This leads me to my next forecast of more federal bailouts for the housing sector. Efforts by the Federal Reserve to stave off recession will have the net effect of only blowing the bubble bigger, making the crash that much more painful when it inevitably comes. The malinvestments caused by easy credit in the housing industry will be prolonged by more easy credit. New programs and laws will be enacted to prop up housing, all with a falling dollar, devalued by continued foreign interventions. The crisis in the housing market will spread and I’m afraid we are in for some rough economic times.

Moreover, the government will require more money than ever this year, and as funding options run out, taxes will go up. Expect stealth tax increases on consumer goods, perhaps airline tickets or cigarettes, and increased government fees here and there. Ironically total revenues will probably fall due to a weakened economy. The new programs started to “helpâ€

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”