early childhood screening

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

early childhood screening

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I got a letter today with the time the school set up my dd's screening. So, I suppose I should cancel, telling them she's not going to be enrolled in kindergarten or 1st grade. I wasn't planning on informing the school district of my intent to hs until it was mandatory that she attend, but I guess I need to let them know before she's 4 :? .
Mom of 3 tow-headed girly-girls: L(4), I(2), F(3 months)

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:25 pm

If it's not mandatory to send your letter of intent until she is six, why not just not set up her screening? What can they do? If they call you or send another letter may be call the "powers that be" and let them know that she will not be attending.

gregos
User

Re: early childhood screening

Postby gregos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:25 am

Sandy wrote:I got a letter today with the time the school set up my dd's screening. So, I suppose I should cancel, telling them she's not going to be enrolled in kindergarten or 1st grade. I wasn't planning on informing the school district of my intent to hs until it was mandatory that she attend, but I guess I need to let them know before she's 4 :? .

If you intend to homeschool, then there is absolutely no reason why she should be tested. Let 'em know that she won't be with them and that for that reason, you don't give permission for the "screening." If you want an accurate assessment, have it done by someone in private, clincial practice. School psych. is nothing more than "shop for a label" diagnosing.

Sandy
User

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with both of you. I don't really know what to do. I'm curious to see how she does (I think she's exceptionally bright :D ), but I don't want interference from those who think they know better than I about her. I've got to get time to call another hsing mom and see what she's done.
Mom of 3 tow-headed girly-girls: L(4), I(2), F(3 months)

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”