Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missouri Law Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Missouri Law Question Reply with quote

I know some others are here in MO and maybe they can help me out here.

I have some friends who just moved to MO and are staying in a shelter while they get on their feet. In the state they use to live in they home schooled, they did so through an umbrella program. Well the shelter they are staying at has told them they can not home school while in the shelter and that if they do they will turn them in for educational neglect and kick them out of the shelter.

I know in Missouri you do not have to file anything to home school, just keep a record of what you do.

I also know that since a shelter is a private thing they may be able to set their own rules.

If anyone knows if this is legal or not please let me know.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the shelter is 100% privately funded, then they have the right to let in or not let in anyone they feel like. If they are partially funded through state or federal grants, however, then I don't think they can banish people for homeschooling under the law, and regardless of their funding, turning people in for child neglect when those people are complying with the law is something that can get the shelter in a lot of trouble. Sounds like a good news story to me.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kinda my thought. I am going to do some research on the shelter they are staying in and also help them call around and see if they can find a program to help them get on their feet and also keep on homeschooling their kids. Thanks.
Cathy
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Missouri Law Question Reply with quote

There is so much misinformation out there it is astounding. My former legislator, who was previously a public school admin guy, but pretty decent, even thought that when the law said, "You MAY file a letter of intent with either the school district OR the county recorder's office" that is meant you had to. I was able to convince him to talk with folks in Jeff City to correct his error, but not the then current admin in Odessa schools OR the Division of Family Services in Lexington. They both insisted that the law required families to file a letter of intent. Since I was acting on behalf of another family who was getting started homeschooling ( I was tutoring in reading 2X weekly) I did not pursue it legally.

NOW, GET THIS. Just last week, in Nevada, a juvenile court officer told my niece that she COULD NOT homeschool her son (which in this case, it was likely best she did not, as she had no control over him) and that homeschooling was going to be outlawed! ROTFL - I told her the lady was either nuts or just flat out lying to her about the outlawing thing; but did tell her that her decision to not home school him was, at this stage, since he is 15, likely the best one for now.
momom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Missouri Law Question Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
There is so much misinformation out there it is astounding. My former legislator, who was previously a public school admin guy, but pretty decent, even thought that when the law said, "You MAY file a letter of intent with either the school district OR the county recorder's office" that is meant you had to. I was able to convince him to talk with folks in Jeff City to correct his error, but not the then current admin in Odessa schools OR the Division of Family Services in Lexington. They both insisted that the law required families to file a letter of intent. Since I was acting on behalf of another family who was getting started homeschooling ( I was tutoring in reading 2X weekly) I did not pursue it legally.

Wow. I suspect this family wasn't a member of HSLDA. If they were, they could have contacted HSLDA and told them what was going on so they could set the Odessa admin and DFS straight.

Cathy wrote:
NOW, GET THIS. Just last week, in Nevada, a juvenile court officer told my niece that she COULD NOT homeschool her son (which in this case, it was likely best she did not, as she had no control over him) and that homeschooling was going to be outlawed!

If your niece still wants to homeschool, I suggest she become a member of HSLDA first and then when they try to give her problems she can contact them and they could probably handle it for her.

Doesn't that juvenile court officer just wish that homeschooling would be outlawed. I wonder who told him that? I honestly don't believe anyone told him that. I think he just made it up.
Cathy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Missouri Law Question Reply with quote

No, neither family was a member of any organization because, as I stated, the one family was just getting ready to homeschool and my niece never did. I was a member of FHE long after I quit homeschooling. Also, my niece wisely decided to not homeschool as her son was 15 and getting in a lot of trouble due to Mom having to work long hours (dad died when he was about 7) and was on the verge of being sent to a state juvenile facility. She did not have any control over him and he had a lot of friends that he needed to be away from. She sent him to live with a relative in a town about 15 miles away where the aunt teaches school and he will be closely supervised, at least during the week. Now I am trying to get my brother to consider allowing his 15 yr old daughter to try homeschooling as she has a serious health problem and is missing so much school she is flunking and is extremely depressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: