Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting kids in....taking kids out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batwing
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Putting kids in....taking kids out Reply with quote

My daughter is seriously thinking of sending her kids back to school this year because hs'ing didn't go too well last year (their first). She took them out under religious exemption,which means the state has no say-so in their curriculum,testing,etc.
She anticipates that they will both want to "come back home" after they get a taste of school again. They'll be in 1st and 4th grades. Right now they sort of want to go back because they "miss their friends" altho they see these same friends all the time plus the pals in the hs'ing group.
When they get a good dose of school and are begging to come home again,she will probably withdraw them.....this time for good.
I guess my question is.....have any of you done this??? Can you use religious exemption more than once?? We live in Virginia.
Thanks for any help,suggestions,etc.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I have no idea. I think one would need to study the local laws. Many times "authorities" will tell you that you can't do something but if you've studied the laws you know you can and that they can't take those options away from you.

Good luck.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have much time to read through this because the baby got hungry and the older two decided that playing knights and swords was much better than doing math. But here is a site I found that may be helpful.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/guide/religious_exemption.asp
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That site explains plenty about how to get out of public school, but doesn't say anything about getting back. As far as I know, there are no rules on what public schools can or can't do on readmission, and the usual procedure will probably be to test your kid and then admit at the lowest grade level found in any subject. Some schools may be nicer and give you some say, or at least place in the average grade level rather than the lowest, but that's up to the discretion of the school.

Basically, the best way to find out is to talk to the school. Nothing you look up online is likely to help on this, sorry Crying or Very sad
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why she would do this. It seems like it would create uncertainty and unstableness in their life. If you think she is just frustrated, which is perfectly normal for beginners, maybe she would do better getting a consultation from a homeschool resource consultant.
I'm sorry if this is too late, or you don't know what I'm talking about. I know their are experienced homeschool parents who help people with their decisions. Maybe you could help her find some support where you live. They could help her find ways to make homeschooling better for her family.
It just seems to me that she would give the school district, or who ever decides, a reason to say, "Well, how sincere could your religious beliefs be, if you are putting them in a setting you don't approve of and then pulling them out." Do you see my point?
I hope you will let us know how her family is doing. Thanks.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting kids in....taking kids out Reply with quote

batwing wrote:
My daughter is seriously thinking of sending her kids back to school this year because hs'ing didn't go too well last year (their first). She took them out under religious exemption,which means the state has no say-so in their curriculum,testing,etc.

She anticipates that they will both want to "come back home" after they get a taste of school again. They'll be in 1st and 4th grades. Right now they sort of want to go back because they "miss their friends" altho they see these same friends all the time plus the pals in the hs'ing group.
When they get a good dose of school and are begging to come home again,she will probably withdraw them.....this time for good.
I guess my question is.....have any of you done this??? Can you use religious exemption more than once?? We live in Virginia.
Thanks for any help,suggestions,etc.

I'm coming in late on this, as well, but it would seem to me that yes, there would be problems with her trying to use the religious exemption clause again. After all, by going that route when she started she was saying that she had religious reasons for homeschooling and by putitng the dc into school she would negate those reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: