Drawback to Unit studies?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

WWMama
User

Drawback to Unit studies?

Postby WWMama » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 pm

I've been wondering, as I'm looking at all the different methods of homeschooling, about unti studies. I worked as a "preschool teacher" for a few years before getting married and having children and I really think that all my lesson planning as a preschool teacher really makes me lean towards unit studies as the way I want to do homeschooling. Its the way my brain works and I think it will be a good way to teach one thing and gear it to whatever level either of my kids happen to be at on whatever "subject". I'm wondering...for those of you who are currently doing this...are there any disadvantages to this approach? Have you found things that are more difficult or harder to do with this method? Or things to beware of?
Peace:
It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:29 am

As a fellow former preschool teacher I felt the same way, the one draw back that I see is the time that it takes to plan. I now do a combination of things, some workbooks, some readings and some unit studies. I just don't have the time to plan it all for three. If you do, go ahead, it really is a wonderful way to homeschool.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:56 am

I guess it might depend on what "unit studies" means to you :-)

To *me*, unit studies means picking a topic and doing everything around that topic until we're tired of it, lol. Only English and math need to be done as separate subjects.

The more organized, "official" unit studies such as KONOS, the Weaver, Prairie Primer, Where the Brook and the River Meet, et al, remove most of the pain in planning. I'm a KONOS fan, myself, although Where the Brook and the River Meet looks very interesting.

I suppose a drawback might be that our dc don't have lots of practice filling out workbook pages, but since there's very little of that in adult life, that isn't something that concerns me a whole bunch, lol.

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Peace:

It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.

It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:36 am

I really like unit studies, but the only thing is because I make them myself is burn out. So I only do them sometimes. Maybe if you buy ones all prepared that would not be a problem.
Jo from Australia

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:27 am

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 am

Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”