4-H alternative

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Fourbit
User

4-H alternative

Postby Fourbit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm

We are having a terrible time in our county with the way the 4-H program is being run, here. And, since it's Overlorded by the National University system, they are just not providing our children with a positive experience.

The last straw has been put on and it's time for us to find a replacement program.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

hmm be interesting if anyone gives you any ideas. For us I want our kids in 4-H but have not found time to get into it yet. We do Rainbow here (which is part of the Masonic order).

Fourbit
User

Postby Fourbit » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the message. We haven't found anything, yet. We have been talking about starting a youth group. Seems there are a lot of people that are just not happy with the situation.

One thing that has bothered us lately, is the fact that the organization is run by the national Land-grant university system. Which is part of the National educational system that we have opted not to be part of. Seems odd, but true.

Oh, well. Still looking. :D

sevenkidsisgreat
User

Postby sevenkidsisgreat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:58 am

Can I ask what the problems are? It could be that if this is a county wide issue a phone call to the state coordinator would be in order.

Cheryl

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:23 am

There is a 4-H group in our state run by homeschoolers. Maybe you can start your own? The are a group that is all about having a group experience. They do plays and make a float for the parade, crafts and cooperative games. I would love to go but it is just too far away. The idea is great though.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

FCMomofaBunch
User

Postby FCMomofaBunch » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 pm

I was a 3rd generation 4-Her growing up. I spent a lot of time working with 4-H. I would recommend starting your own 4-H club. I believe you only need 5 children/members to be an official club. If you don't have enough children in your family to qualify as a club (ages ~7-19), then you could buddy up with another family. As a club leader you have access to the project books with leader helps, and you have control how to conduct your meetings.

When I was a teenage 4-Her, I met my first family of hsers as they contacted the county, and the county contacted my mom, the leader, if they could join. This was the first hs family I had ever met, and it was just amazing to see how brilliant and happy these kids were. The other ps kids in the club were happy to make new friends. (just thought I'd share.)

Good luck with 4-H, I think it's a great program, and if you can't get anywhere in the county office, go to the state office with your concerns/complaints.
Andrea
Mom to Anna (3), Gabriel (1.5) and Baby Madeline

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”