Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Start HomeSchooling childern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Dont_Know
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: How Do You Start HomeSchooling childern Reply with quote

Hi I am 14 And My dad and mom are trying to get me homeschooled but how would u start that cause see we are haveing alot of problems with my school :(you see like to day this kid thow a meatle beltbuckle at my side and it hurt me bad and me haveing surgery and stuff aint good so ya but how would u start homeschooling a child?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your parents need to find out what the legal requirements are in your state. One way to do this is to check with Home School Legal Defense Association: www.hslda.org.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Find the legal requirements for your state. You can get info on that from HSLDA, as elliemaejune said, and depending on what state you're in, the requirements may range from just a letter of notification, to record-keeping and yearly testing.

2) Find or put together a curriculum. There are many homeschool curriculum providers, and probably the best way to find out which curriculum to go with is to take a look at a few and see which you like best. Homeschool conventions or local homeschool groups can help with that:
http://www.home-school.com/events/
http://www.home-school.com/groups/

3) Do the work, and if necessary, keep a brief record. You don't have to follow the school year schedule - many homeschoolers work year-round and do less hours per day (3 is probably average for core subjects). One big advantage of this is you have more time for extracurriculars and/or a job. Or you could do a month on and two weeks off, or whatever schedule you like best.

If there are any subjects you can't handle on your own, online or community college courses are an option. I highly recommend community college for things like lab science and Calculus, and online courses will do fine for some other things.

4) Take nationally standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DSST - for as many subjects as you can. While a portfolio of work is usually accepted at colleges, the simplest way to prove you know your stuff is just to take a test. You're more likely to get college credit with test scores in hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: