testing/Pennsylvania

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

micheller79
User

testing/Pennsylvania

Postby micheller79 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 am

My daughter is 10 and in the fourth grade. I am in Pennsylvania. I read the testing is a requirement for 3, 5, and 7 grade. Last year I asked the assistant super. if she needed to be tested (PSSA) and she said no. Will i be in trouble for not testing on my own? I am not sure about this. Next year will I be responsible for testing and if so, how do I go about this?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:17 pm

If you didn't get it in writing, they could theoretically make trouble for you, but 3rd grade is past and it's too late to do anything about it. I wouldn't worry too much, so long as your child is able to prove competency if challenged to do so.

As for which test to take, any nationally accredited or PA accredited test should be acceptable. The official PA state test is the PSSA, as you stated:
http://www.pde.state.pa.us/a_and_t/site/default.asp

This would probably need to be taken at a local school and on a specific date, contact your local school for details.

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:10 am

Can any PA homeschoolers provide me with some details on how exactly you keep your portfolio, records, etc? I am a newbie (obviously).. and I am a bit concerned about this area. I realize that I am probably worrying for nothing, but I would appreciate any feedback, if only to make myself feel better.

TIA

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 am

We do have an area of the forum devoted to recordkeeping / portfolios :)

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:11 am

Thank you. I am aware, I have posted my question there. I posted it here hoping that I would be hearing from a PA resident in particular, since many of the posts I have read on record keeping/ portfolios are from HS in states with different requirements...

Sorry :)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 pm

I don't know of any state that provides specific guidelines for recordkeeping / portfolios of work, so all that stuff should be pretty much the same from state to state. The only difference is what hours, subjects, etc. you're required to cover, and whether recordkeeping itself is required in the first place. Some states don't require recordkeeping at all.

Return to “Homeschool Law”