Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the Big sum up? (fast help please)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamal319
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: the Big sum up? (fast help please) Reply with quote

Shocked

Ok well I spoke to my mom about the whole homeschool thing she doesn't really understand it... what she says is I won't have a highschool diploma, when I apply for jobs and they ask for diploma and I show them my homeschool diploma ill end up having problems etc.... also she says homeschooling is the easy route out. Also she says I can't just teach my self I'm gonna need somene to homeschool me etc etc.... so can you guys just respond to they way she thinks with your facts/opinions so I can show her coming from the people who already homeschooling or been through it,

Now for me in school its just tuff they want me to take over "global history 4" from last year 10th grade which I did in summerschool she tells me oh go and take the test but I did the class and test and the teacher fails me but I pass the test... so she wants me to take the class over for retry number 3? I'm like wtf. + I gotta take science regent over idk when, and the math regent which I never took cause my math class wasn't like able to take it for being a repeaters math. So ok I have to take that before I graduate ok cool. + the regents for this 11th grade + pass each class to move on to my senior year there building so much stress on me... some classes I learn a bit and have fun some I don't and some the teachers don't care. I don't focus to much around 30 students and there's never no extra time to ask for help etc... ok that's a bit of my side.

Thanks for reading
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: the Big sum up? (fast help please) Reply with quote

It sounds like your mom doesn't want to even consider homeschool for you.

I think NY state homeschooled kids still have to pass the Regents' so maybe making this switch now won't resolve your concerns about that anyway?

Your mom knows you very well and she appears to want you to just do your work and stop looking for an easy way out.

You say the school is building stress on you.

Maybe you and your mom could talk together about setting up a daily schedule of study and work you will commit to and stick to in order to finish while she could help you de-stress regularly.

Ramona
HS'ing mom to one college freshman, one 12th-grader, + 5 littler kids

(BTW--I've never in my whole life ever applied for any job where they asked to see my high school diploma. I've never heard of anyone being asked to show their high school diploma in order to get hired for a job. Most people are aware of this if they stop and think about it. Yet it's one of the most common excuses used nowadays in opposition to homeschooling: "You won't get hired (or accepted to a college) because you won't have a diploma."

It's simply not true. This particular so-called "need" for a diploma has no basis in reality, AFAIK.)
jamal319
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the reply, i'll still have a talk with mom see how she feels explain some stuff to her etc, whats your 12th grader usal day ? Just wondering to get some ideas or etc.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 12th-grader's usual day:

Arise 5:15 a.m.
Dress, breakfast
5:50 drive self and younger sister to church for religion class at 6
7:00 home
7:30 help little brothers and sisters get breakfast
8:00 housework (dishes, laundry, clean kitchen, one more daily chore)
9:00 practice flute
9:30 serve and eat snacks; family homeschool opening exercises (song, prayer, flag salute, etc)
Physics
P.E. (30 minutes)
Trig
fix lunch for self and 2 younger sisters
British literature/composition
silent reading for fun
U.S. history
practice flute, violin, piano, organ
help fix supper
bathe a younger sibling, attend a church youth activity, or work on homeschool lessons or church youth goal-setting program
8:00 go to bed

One day a week she attends orchestra rehearsal for one hour.
One day a week she goes to her flute lesson for 45 minutes.
One day a week she teaches 3 piano students for an hour and a half.
One day a week she takes her younger siblings to library story hour.

Ramona

jamal319 wrote:
whats your 12th grader usal day ? Just wondering to get some ideas or etc.
jamal319
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i was just showing my mom some of the stuff you replied with and some of the other topics etc, what she thinks is you need someone to come tutor you like at the age of 16(me) highschool they dont allow you to homeschool yourself. Thats what shes not understanding, shes all like are you sure? "nooo i think homeschool is someone has to come teach you etc etc"
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Independent study home high school Reply with quote

If she's willing to consider it, the two of you need to look at the state homeschool law. I don't know of any states that require a tutor or teacher. As far as I know, if you are capable of getting through it by independent or individual study, that's perfectly OK with the government.

There are many options. There was another thread recently listing various ways a highschooler can "homeschool himself." Sorry I'm not up to finding it right now. (Mods?)

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling means learning at home, not making your home into a school. No tutor is necessary. Practically speaking, you can teach yourself almost everything starting at 3rd or 4th grade, and it's only when you get to late high school that you may need to take some outside courses for the more difficult subjects (lab science, calculus, etc.) For those, community college works just fine.

There are, of course, legal requirements for homeschooling in any state, but no state requires a tutor.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Independent study home high school Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
There was another thread recently listing various ways a highschooler can "homeschool himself."

http://www.home-school.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2914
Cathy
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: the Big sum up? (fast help please) Reply with quote

Jamal,

I am new to this forum, so am interested in how this turned out for you. I just posted on behalf of my niece. In doing research, I found Keystone, a company that lets you take just one class to start if you want and you can contact the teachers for help anytime you want. That is what I am suggesting my brother do for niece. One course as a "test" to see if she will really stick with it and compelte the work.
casamonika
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know... if you want to homeschool you can teach yourself everything you need and want to know. My daughter was in public school and going into 9th grade when she asked me to homeschool her. I'm not a teacher and I don't remember a lot of the stuff I learned in school, so I thought how will I teach her high school stuff? But I respected her wish to learn at home. I took her out of school, searched for a curriculum and finally found The Robinson Curriculum. It is completely self-teaching, K-12. It's the most amazing success story, how this curriculum was put together and why and how it worked out for a dad who had just lost his wife. He ended up homeschooling his 6 (imagine that) children while he continued to work.

Needless to say, I bought the curriculum and my daughter taught herself. For example, she did the math all on her own, all the way up to calculus, with no help from me at all. She is very motivated and a great self-learner and I think that is a key element... it seems to me you fall into the same category... good for you. All I had to do was to supply the teaching materials. At 16, she also supplemented her schooling with dual enrollment courses at college for which she got high school and college credits (and high school kids get to take the college classes for free).

Both my girls were very successful with this teaching method and both are now in college. My older daughter made a template for her high school transcript and diploma and I filled in the blanks and signed it. She was accepted to study at an international college in Jerusalem and after that at a German university. No one ever questioned her homeschool transcript or diploma. Same for my younger daughter and everyone else I know in our homeschool community here in South Florida.

Here in Florida we have the Florida Parent Educators Association (FPEA) which does a statewide convention and graduation ceremony every year. I graduated both my daughters there... it's a great event... this year we had 261 graduates coming together. FPEA also presents the graduates with a diploma which has a seal on it. But they don't ask about transcripts, grades or anything else. The parents sign up their kids for the graduation ceremony and the kids get the diploma, simple as that. A homemade transcript and diploma that you present to an employer or a college are perfectly acceptable as well. I know that from the many friends I made in our homeschool group who did not go to the FPEA graduation. Their kids went on to work or to college with no problem.

I wrote an article about Dr. Robinson and The Robinson Curriculum. You can read it here: http://www.squidoo.com/home-school-dad

Last edited by casamonika on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
casamonika
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... forgot to mention that you can take the SAT... I think as often as you wish... and I think that is what colleges are really looking for... how you did on the SAT. My younger daughter who was also homeschooled, started dual enrollment college classes at 15. So if you have a college nearby you may be able to do the same thing... and that should not cost you anything. Just to let you know how, for example, Florida International University regards homeschoolers... consider this:

They accept homeschoolers who are still in high school based on what the parent, who is the educator and principal of the homeschool, recommends. So when I thought my kids were ready to take a college class, I enrolled them at FIU and FIU accepted them. You would need to check with your local college how they handle dual enrollment... some require an entrance test of some sort.

If you start to work right after or even during homeschool high school, I think your employer would be impressed with you taking college classes in high school. That should only work in your favor.

Is there a homeschool group in your area? I found homeschoolers who band together a great help and encouragement. They can tell you from their own experiences how they fared. Of course this is what this forum does... but it would be nice if you and your mom could meet other homeschool families face to face as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: