Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banned Books Week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellar, I'm not for book banning, I am for making sure that certain books are geared toward the correct age bracket. You wouldn't want Kindergarteners reading the scarlet letter, or Frankenstein, would you? A lot of the books that some people want banned are just set for the wrong age bracket. Some of the new books for 3rd grader, (8 and 9yos) are worse than some of the -CENSORED- on the internet! Everyone is entitled to read what they want, but they don't need to push it on innocent children, and unknowing parents.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo,

I just said how pleased I was that no one on here had said they were for truly banning books. So I'm not sure why you think I singled you out as being for that? We are not in disagreement on the issue of banning books as far as I can tell.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I didn't think that you were talking about me at all. I just thought that I would get the conversation back onto the original topic. Just a different thought about how to handle the books that they want to ban.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I misunderstood. So you are proposing an age by age guide like they have for vid games, tv shows and movies?
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews and ratings are helpful, but regardless of age, there are some elements that would never be appropriate more specifically due to moral and/or religious convictions.

I remember a Christian boycott campaign many years ago to stop Walden's from carrying certain "adult" magazines. That is all the media mentioned about it, but what they did not say is that even though Walden's stores had placed covers on the front of the magazines, many of the stores had these magazines down where teens and even young children could easily reach them--I went to the stores in my area to find this was true. I find that irresponsible and in the case where a bookstore or library is continuing to act irresponsible like that, I would rather they just not have the books at all.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I recently read Frankenstein and it really have very little that is objectionable in it or scary by today's standards.
jan
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hosea 4:6 NKJV
My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge.

Just be careful satan can be very deceptive!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post confuses me. Are you for or against the banning of books Jan?

Last edited by StellarStory on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
jan
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I didn't mean to be confusing, I just mean we need to be aware of what is out there so we can make educated decisions based on what we believe.
Very Happy
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan wrote:
Sorry! I didn't mean to be confusing, I just mean we need to be aware of what is out there so we can make educated decisions based on what we believe.
Very Happy

That makes sense to me!

*nods muchly*
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!! You said it simpler than I did jan, thank you. We just can't take what society and Library associations tell us about books. We need to do Our own research! Thank you.
twiggybumble
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not feel that any books should be banned. I also do not personally feel that any movies, statements, etc should be banned. Well, I can't really say that. I feel some movies should never be made in the first place, such as those that feature live-action smut and killing animals and the like. However, I do firmly believe that the public should be informed about the content of the movie, book, video game, etc; in order to make a wise decision.

One thing that comes to my mind in debates like this is the fact that we live in a Republic. In some places in the world, things of all nature are banned, and I feel this is extremely sad because it limits one's ability to think for themselves and make their own choices.

Having said that, as a parent, I absolutely play the role of "censor" in what my child is exposed to. However, I do not operate under the delusion that this will continue forever. (I am not insinuating that any of you do, either, by the way. It's a twiggybumblism)
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I parent I was very careful about what my kids were exposed to in our home for a very long time.

As an artist, I do not like censorship in any form.

I agree that it's nice to have a rating system however arbitrary it might be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: