Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laws in TN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDS
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Laws in TN Reply with quote

I am new to homeschooling. I will be homeschooling two of my kids next year and I am trying to find an umbrella school to register with. I am having trouble understanding the difference between option 2 and option 3 listed here http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=TN.

Option2: Establish and operate a home school in association with a church-related school

Option3:Operate as a satellite campus of a church-related school

Is it the CRS's decision on this or the state's? I am confused.

Jen
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 2 means you're a student, option 3 means you're more like a second location for the church school. In the latter case, you wouldn't even be considered homeschoolers, since you'd be doing your studying on a school site Smile

Read the PDF linked off the HSLDA page, it will make things a lot clearer.
JDS
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I am still a bit confused. I have found several CRS that I am interested in. Some of them will say we operate as a "satellite" so you are not technically considered a homeschooler while some just say they are a class IV school. So, my question is while I am researching schools do I need to ask if the school operates under option 2 or option 3 according to the TN laws? And who makes the decision on which option the crs qualifies for?

For example, Home Life Academy states they operate as a satellite so they fall under option 3. However, I do not believe they even have a true campus. So, what distinguishes them from option 2? I hope I am not confusing you, now. Smile

Here are three of my choices as of right now.
www.bethlehembaptistchurch.org (I think they are option 2)
www.homelifeacademy.com (They say satellite, so option3)
http://www.riversidechristianacademy.org/ ( I would say option 3)

I just want to be sure that I meet the requirements for either option.

Thanks so much for your help. Razz

Jen
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDS wrote:
So, my question is while I am researching schools do I need to ask if the school operates under option 2 or option 3 according to the TN laws? And who makes the decision on which option the crs qualifies for?

I don't think it matters, as long as you choose one of the schools. By enrolling with either one you have complied with the law.
JDS
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, elliemaejune.

I know by enrolling with either I comply by the law. However, the qualifications & requirements are a little different for Option 2 vs. Option 3. If I am under Option 3, there are no state madated requirements I need to follow even in grades 9-12. I just need to follow the requirements set by the CRS I am registered with. But under Option 2, there are state requirements for grades 9-12 (testing, registering with local LEA, proof of my High School Diploma) that need to be fulfilled along with any set by the CRS.

While this doesn't really matter at this point since my kids are still in elementary, I'd like to be able to stay with the same CRS even through High School. And I'd prefer not to have to worry about the state's requirements. So, I really want to find a school that I KNOW operates under Option 3.

I hope I am not being irritating. I just really want to understand all of this before diving into it next year.

Jen
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to comply with option 3, the place your kids are being tought at has to be the satellite school itself. So if you can set up your homeschool as a satellite school (maybe a co-op sort of thing), or go to the house of whoever has the satellite school, that would qualify as option 3, otherwise it's option 2 because you're enrolled in the church school but not on-site at one of their locations. I don't think being a satellite of a satellite counts Smile
JDS
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Theodore. That is what I thought, but one of the schools I was looking at claims to operate under Option 3. I really appreciate your help. I will assume option 2 to be on the safe side. Smile
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I belong to HomeLife Academy and I believe they do have a day campus. They have been super easy to use, and cheap too! They also take internationals, because I am from Australia!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: