Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: What languages are your children studying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treshay wrote:
Wow, I'm suddenly feeling overwhelmed. I have a 3rd grader and a Pre-K should I be doing this already? We are learning sign language...

I'm just wondering what grade all of your children are in to be learning ALL those languages??

Don't compare yourself to other homeschoolers. Do what works for your family.

I exposed my kids to a bit of Spanish, which DH and I both speak and I have a lot of native-speaking friends, and a few words in other languages including signing when they were Pre-K, but made no formal attempts to teach them any foreign languages.

I started formal Spanish lessons when the oldest was doing grade 1 or 2 work. (Sorry I don't remember exactly. He's in college now and I'm 38 weeks pg. It's been a L-O-N-G time and my memory is out of it.)

By the time my kids had done Spanish and ASL for a couple of years, I decided we needed to take some time off from foreign languages. I had them start again when they were in about 6th grade, maybe? DH and I have textbooks and a few other resources for a bunch of different languages, so I told them they can pick one every term. DS1 did Spanish, then French, then German, then Russian, then Portuguese, each one for a different amount of time and no two at once. DD1 has stuck to Spanish all her life. DD2 did Spanish, Russian, French, and now is back to Russian. DD3 just started Latin halfway through 2nd grade.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier, the better, as far as languages are concerned. Children up through early teens? learn languages more easily than adults. Given, formal language instruction for young children probably isn't a good idea, but if you happen to have native speakers handy, a few hours per week of immersion won't hurt. Even just hearing a foreign language builds brain patterns.
Elei
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
We do dutch as mothertongue language, Spanish and Catalan as they are the languages they live in and they do English with me as a foreign language.
My oldest is 8 years old.
Anybody who wants a Spanish penfriend?
Elei.
Ginia
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eldest took Spanish (through distance learning)
and American Sign Language (at community college)

Now my 9th and 6th graders are taking Chinese with Rosetta Stone.
I'm so glad Rosetta Stone offers so many choices!
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget two of the most useful languages these days:

PHP
C++

Wink
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. Except I'd say that it's PHP and Perl. Smile I know C++ as well, but I've never had to actually use it for work, though I suppose if I were writing regular applications instead of web applications, C++ would be my primary language.
tricia
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My elder daughter started on Chinese Mandarin this year. My younger one is doing Hokkien. We will do German later when they are older.
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are learning French and Spanish with my 6 and 3 year old. I bought two cds from Twin Sisters Productions and there are songs that teach them the alphabet, numbers, weather, food, etc. It's a lot of fun and they have picked up a lot doing them in a song.

I also bought a pottery barn kids language wheel and it teaches like 6 or 8 simple words in different languages..english, spanish, french, italian, and german.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will start with Spanish next year.

I would also like the children to learn Latin. I haven't convinced my husband yet.
JoeSwimmer
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: language Reply with quote

Spanish, English and kidspeak,,,hehe Laughing Laughing Laughing
Golabfamily
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are studying the following

Polish
Spanish
German

and are looking into starting these in the near future..

Italian,
Greek,
Afrikaans
and
Arabic

All languages the children do you or will use are so they can communicate with Close Family and friends in their native languages

We learn the languages, cook their food and learn about their cultures Smile

So much fun! and the best bit the children can use it with loved ones!

Children are 3 and 8 years old.

Edited to add the 8 year old is also learning XHTML
rustymason
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin, Greek, and German.

I'd also like to study Welsh (Cymraeg) when I get the chance.

Vale
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on Spanish and American Sign Language with my 15 month old son.

In regards to Spanish, I'm not a super fluent speaker, but I'm starting to incorporate a few minor phrases and vocabulary words...things like colors, animals, etc.... in our everyday interaction. And then of course, he LOVES to watch his Handy Manny everyday, lol. I would like to find a few simple storybooks that incorporate both English and Spanish, so please let me know if you know of any good ones!

As for the ASL, its something I'm working on myself; it comes in handy where I work. We have a few Baby Einstein and Talking Hands videos that we've picked up second-hand, as well as a few board books and "teacher's manuals" on the subject. My son was signing "milk" at 3 months old...and that's about ALL he signs on a regular basis, lol. He does fairly well at recognizing signs, but would rather just attempt to say the word than make the sign. I was worried about him for awhile because he wasn't waving bye-bye until about 12 months; my mom reassured me that he probably felt he didn't NEED to wave because he could clearly SAY bye-bye, lol.

When he gets older, I'd like to stay with our Spanish studies and hopefully become fairly fluent. However, I'd also like to start incorporating some additional languages into the mix. I think I'll wait and find out which ones HE would like to study, but I'm going to insist that we cover Japanese or Chinese at some point.
naturalist4
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying Spanish and used to be studying Latin.
philipsteele
User

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more important is German and Latin...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: