Banned Books Week

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Stellar, I'm not for book banning, I am for making sure that certain books are geared toward the correct age bracket. You wouldn't want Kindergarteners reading the scarlet letter, or Frankenstein, would you? A lot of the books that some people want banned are just set for the wrong age bracket. Some of the new books for 3rd grader, (8 and 9yos) are worse than some of the -CENSORED- on the internet! Everyone is entitled to read what they want, but they don't need to push it on innocent children, and unknowing parents.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 pm

Momo,

I just said how pleased I was that no one on here had said they were for truly banning books. So I'm not sure why you think I singled you out as being for that? We are not in disagreement on the issue of banning books as far as I can tell.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 am

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:21 am

Reviews and ratings are helpful, but regardless of age, there are some elements that would never be appropriate more specifically due to moral and/or religious convictions.

I remember a Christian boycott campaign many years ago to stop Walden's from carrying certain "adult" magazines. That is all the media mentioned about it, but what they did not say is that even though Walden's stores had placed covers on the front of the magazines, many of the stores had these magazines down where teens and even young children could easily reach them--I went to the stores in my area to find this was true. I find that irresponsible and in the case where a bookstore or library is continuing to act irresponsible like that, I would rather they just not have the books at all.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:11 am

Btw, I recently read Frankenstein and it really have very little that is objectionable in it or scary by today's standards.

jan
User

Postby jan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:24 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 am

Last edited by StellarStory on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jan
User

Postby jan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:38 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:45 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:57 am

Exactly!! You said it simpler than I did jan, thank you. We just can't take what society and Library associations tell us about books. We need to do Our own research! Thank you.

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am

I personally do not feel that any books should be banned. I also do not personally feel that any movies, statements, etc should be banned. Well, I can't really say that. I feel some movies should never be made in the first place, such as those that feature live-action smut and killing animals and the like. However, I do firmly believe that the public should be informed about the content of the movie, book, video game, etc; in order to make a wise decision.

One thing that comes to my mind in debates like this is the fact that we live in a Republic. In some places in the world, things of all nature are banned, and I feel this is extremely sad because it limits one's ability to think for themselves and make their own choices.

Having said that, as a parent, I absolutely play the role of "censor" in what my child is exposed to. However, I do not operate under the delusion that this will continue forever. (I am not insinuating that any of you do, either, by the way. It's a twiggybumblism)

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 am

As I parent I was very careful about what my kids were exposed to in our home for a very long time.

As an artist, I do not like censorship in any form.

I agree that it's nice to have a rating system however arbitrary it might be.

Return to “Religious Discussion / Topics”