Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Struggling Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to look at this in depth yet, but wanted to share. It's a link to HSLDA regarding struggling learners.

http://www.hslda.org/strugglinglearner/default.asp

I initially opened it because of this statement: "Homeschool families are accustomed to stretching: budgets, meals, life of clothing. . . . However, the temptation, in private conversations or group meetings, to stretch the facts about “my” child’s accomplishments or progress is not always avoided. The enemy may then seize the opportunity to deliver discouragement or condemnation to a listening parent whose child is not achieving to that same degree. A parent may forget, for the moment, that all children do not learn things at the same time or rate. II Corinthians 10:12 explains: '.. . but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.' "

Anyone else ever felt like dirt from hearing how brilliant and advanced someone else's homeschooled children are, when sometimes it feels like you just struggle to survive? Crying or Very sad

Anyway, it has some great links for children struggling with fine motor skills. I plan to investigate further, but wanted to share.

Calleigh
momagator
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this link (I will be using it) and your personal experience.

My ds has dyslexia (quite severe) and is the reason we first decided to homeschool. I have realized that the "fear of man" along with comparing myself/children with others has in the past created a great deal of insecurities (even depression) within me. I have found that the only way that I can deal with this is to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing. Once I do that, I am at peace and am able to continue on the path that He has laid out for me/us (even on the days that the path seems to be uphill all the way!!!).
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momagator,

I hear that; there is no way to go forward without my faith in God, and yet sometimes I find myself, like you said, getting depressed over it.(homeschool struggles) It just seems so overwhelming, and at times I wonder what happens when college time comes? (panic) And it doesn't help when people expect my children to be grades "ahead" because they are homeschooled. They are in the grades that they should be; no more, no less. Sometimes one of my children will say, "Why are we not a grade ahead?" I tell them why rush into growing up? Do you really want to get to college a year earlier? And then out and working a year earlier? That line of reasoning has really slowed that talk down! haha

So thanks for sharing too. It's good to know I'm not the only one trekking up the mountain! Sad

I hope this site helps you and me! Let me know! Smile

Calleigh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: