auditory learners

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Smanel
User

auditory learners

Postby Smanel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

For those of you whose kids are primary auditory learners, what did you find was the best curriculum for them?

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:03 am

What age group are we talking about?

Lynnlap
User

Auditory learners

Postby Lynnlap » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:53 pm

My two children are auditory learners and we have used Sonlight and A World of Adventure and A New World of Adventure unit studies. They love the read alouds even at ages 12 and 14. Also, lots of Focus on the Family Radio Theater productions, Jim Weiss tapes, Diana Waring tapes, Little Bear Wheeler tapes. Obviously, anything they can listen to.

Hope this helps.

SOPHIE
User

auditory learners

Postby SOPHIE » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:10 am

I have an auditory learner, and no matter what curriculum I've used, she has always done things verbally. She talks a lot and memorizes things by repeating them over as often as needed. Reading out loud for her really helps, especially if she's having difficulty with understanding something. I always encourage her to reread a section if she's having trouble; when she does, she does so out loud. She also listens to Adventures in Odyssey on the radio and CD.

Smanel
User

Postby Smanel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 pm

My son is 11 and is just learning how to read well. He had a very hard time learing to read by sight and when he uses phonics, he will "over" sound out the words. As for his spelling.... he is not doing very well. We are doing most things, including spelling, orally, but I also have several other children that I am trying to teach as well. I am looking for good supplements for things such as spelling, writing instruction and science (I have some math cds) that are on cd. We have reading books covered (we use Sonlight), and we have a lot of family reading time. Plus we get audio books from the library.

kdesk
User

Postby kdesk » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Is your son dyslexic? If so, the program "Strategies for Older Students" from Lexia is excellent. Both of my children use it and I have seen a dramatic improvement in their reading and spelling. Added bonus: it has a very straightforward GUI - not too "young or cutesy" so it doesn't irritate older kids.

Also, try Clicker for writing. It is a word processing program that will speak what he writes after punctuation is entered. My kids find it very helpful (they both tend to leave words out of sentences - having it read aloud to them allows them to catch and correct mistakes without my help). Added bonus: it can also make mistakes funny instead of frustrating - just listening to the voice trying to pronounce a word that is spelled wrong is hilarious.

I know you can get a demo of Lexia SOS but I can't remember about Clicker.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”