Getting Started in Homeschooling: The First Ten Steps

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:49 pm

by Mary Pride
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/GetStarted.html
Last edited by Theodore on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jahbu
User

Offended

Postby Jahbu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:52 pm

I am very offended about this post. I did not like your comment about "a serious mental illness" Yes, I am homeschooling my son and I have a serious mental illness but it is controlled with medication and I am under a Doctor's care. At the same time, I have an MBA in Accounting and I recently passed the two exams for the Elementary Teaching Certificate in New York. Your negative comments comes from ignorance. People that are sick should not be the subject of other peoples jokes.

Tiarali
User

Postby Tiarali » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:46 pm

When I was in high school, my father nearly died several times because of the mental illness that he was battling at the time. When I read Mary Pride's statement, I presumed that it meant that people who homeschool with no history of mental illness can find themselves under a lot of stress, and start to exhibit they symptoms of depression (I have read a number of online anecdotes to this effect); a person who is already battling a mental illness may (depending on where they are in their treatment) be risking their health and happiness by entering into a situation where they may experience serious stress.

My father had to quit his job before he could get better, because it was so stressful. Starting to homeschool for him at that point would have been dangerous - he was at a point where he needed to put his own health first.

This does not mean to say he is subintelligent, in fact, his IQ is very high, and he is a very talented and creative man. I love him and respect him greatly.

And yes, he is still on medication today, but at the same time I believe that he has recovered to the point where he could now cope with a stressor like homeschooling.

I do not believe the author meant to offend anyone by her statement; it was simply a warning that homeschooling can be stressful, and that if you need to put your own health first, maybe you should wait before embarking on the homeschooling journey.

Theodore

You need a solid mental footing to handle the stress of...

Postby Theodore » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:40 pm

Yes, precisely. You need a reasonably solid mental footing to handle the stress of having others dependant on you. I might also point out that "a history of serious mental illness" is not the same thing as "mental illness", and that the phrase is open to a wide variety of interpretations. I personally wouldn't classify people as being seriously mentally ill unless they were a danger to themselves and/or others.

Janine72
User

Great List of Benefits

Postby Janine72 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:42 pm

josephjordan
User

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Homeschooling

Postby josephjordan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:37 am

bruisin
User

Postby bruisin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 pm

I have held many things in my life & I have lost them all, but that which I have placed in God's hands I still retain.

Texas_Raani
User

Response to Seriously Ill Mom...

Postby Texas_Raani » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:09 pm

People are so easily offended these days if things aren't politically correct. Serious illness or not, though. If God gave you children, then he probably wanted you to raise and educate them. :o
For more about me, visit my homeschooling blog: http://baptisthomeschooling.blogspot.com

Texas_Raani
User

Janine's Website

Postby Texas_Raani » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Janine, I just wanted to comment that I love your website...especially all the info about getting started homeschooling. We think alike. Thanks for posting that!
For more about me, visit my homeschooling blog: http://baptisthomeschooling.blogspot.com

KristaBelk
User

Serious illness....

Postby KristaBelk » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:19 am

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Jaenyd
User

Homeschooling blog

Postby Jaenyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Need help with Homeschooling?