Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter book series for a 7 year old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AprilP
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Chapter book series for a 7 year old Reply with quote

I'm looking for ideas for chapter books for my 7.5 year old. She liked the Junie B Jones (I wasn't crazy about them) but she is beyond that reading level now. Any opinions on The Magic Treehouse series?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic treehyouse is okay, but beware that the children do sneak off and lie to their mother. My son, 8 loves the boxcar children. That series goes on forever! Their are some great mystery books too, "nate the great" and "cam Jansen" are good some series. If she likes the Magic school bus, they have chapter books too. I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't especially like Magic Treehouse, but I think that's because it's below my daughter's reading level.
MeganWiles
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Bobbsy twin series? Kind of along the line of Nancy Drew, but geared toward a younger crowd.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxcar Children aren't too bad, and Chronicles of Narnia (there are seven books in the series) is a must-read. I also immensely enjoyed Tintin and Freddy the Pig, and Prince Valiant is a great series too.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tintin, for a seven years old. It had a few situations that weren't quite for that age group I thought. Drugs, and really real bad guys.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a few you probably want to reserve for a later age (the one where you meet Captain Haddock, the one with extraterrestrials, etc.), but there are so many others that are good stories. Yes, there are bad guys, but it's not like blood splatters and people getting blown apart - it's more on the level of classic comic books.

You can probably find them at a local library and look through each one to see if it's ok or not.
OA
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children have always enjoyed the books by the British author, Enid Blyton. They loved reading the "Adventure" series, as well as "The Famous Five" books. We had some difficulty in ordering them from some local bookstores, and found several copies of her books in used book stores. You may find some through searches on the internet. Enid Blyton has also written Bible story books as well, and I LOVED reading her books as a child. My children now have a far greater collection then I ever had! Very Happy

A link to her books is at:

http://www.chorion.co.uk/chorion/brand/blyton/

~ Annie <><
pancharnic
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the magic tree house series. We have lots of conversations about the adventures of Jack and Annie and of course these lead into several discussions on Ancient China or life in Pompeii etc. I think they foster the imagination.

I loved the original Enid Blyton I do not care for the "newer" ones as the language has become too "adult". The Famous Five - used to be my favourite!
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the magic treehouse books as does my daughter. There is also a series out with unicorns in it that my daughter likes but I can't remember what it is and we just moved so most of our books are still in boxes. My daughter is almost 9 and still loves reading the junie b. jones books. She reads well above her grade level but just likes the stories. She likes to tell me about when she was in first grade while she is reading them. I personally don't think that the level she reads at should influence the books she likes to read. She gets enough reading that is at her level during school so when she reads for enjoyment I let her pick. As long as she is reading something I don't care what it is as long as it is clean.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Magic Treehouse series too. I love the historical details in them, the humor and the pace for younger ages.

She might like the Cam Jansen detective books. They are on an easier level than the Bobbsey Twins.

http://www.camjansen.com/

As long as she enjoys reading that's a good thing, even if they are a bit under her level IMO.

My son was reading Captain Underpants and Slayer's Academy way past the time it was on his reading level. Hey, for that matter, I still read children's and young adult books often for work or just to read along with my kids.

Little Wolf's Book of Badness is an adorable series.
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Wolfs-Book-Badness-Wolf/dp/1575055503/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4883284-9098363?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188093693&sr=1-1

The Fairy's Mistake is a really cute book too.
http://www.amazon.com/Fairys-Mistake-Princess-Tales/dp/0060280603/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4883284-9098363?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188093803&sr=1-1

There are so many great books out there.

You might want to go to Bookadventure.com and put in all your daughter's favorite things plus the level you want her reading at for a list of books she might like. She might enjoy doing this for herself or with your help. Then, cross check it against the books your library has available.

She can also take comprehension tests there on most books if you and she would like! She can earn prizes too. The site also links to a quiz hub site that is useful for many things. Most of the stuff is free. I don't use it if it's not.
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 7 1/2 year old may enjoy the Magic Treehouse. They are creative books which can create a bright imagination in your daughter. Cam Jansen are another I liked a bit at that age. The Cam Jansen series are fun mysteries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: