Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math for child with severe fine motor delays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartersmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Math for child with severe fine motor delays Reply with quote

I'm new so first off, HELLO!

Secondly, my son is 9 and this is our first year homeschooling. We are currently trying Time4Learning which he loves but since he is on a K level in Math I really want to focus on that this year. I have read great things about Math U See and just watched the demo video. As a former teacher, I am impressed with the teaching approach but I worry about the writing aspect of it. My ds has MANY diagnoses~spina bifida and autistic spectrum among the two that affect him the most. He has very poor fine motor skills and MUS seems to put a great deal of focus on writing the problem after making it. Has anyone else worked around this or is there another program that does not integrate as much 'paper and pencil' work that you would recommend?
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one says the curriculum has to be used exactly the way it is shown. What about investing in a lot of magnetic numbers? If you had a white board, you could write the problems on that, he could use the numbers to solve, and you could write his answers on the paper.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often have DS dictate the answers to us. He hates writing. Math is not dependent on writing.
cartersmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
No one says the curriculum has to be used exactly the way it is shown. What about investing in a lot of magnetic numbers? If you had a white board, you could write the problems on that, he could use the numbers to solve, and you could write his answers on the paper.

That is one of the best idea's I have ever heard! Thank you!!!!

Last edited by cartersmom on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dyslexic/dysgraphic 9 yo is using MUS. We started it in January of this year and really like it. However, there are a few places where there is more writing than she likes to do, for example, writing out all the numbers (nine million, three hundred and fifty-two thousand, blah blah and blah.) Or breaking large numbers into parts 300,000+40,000+5,000+blah blah. So I just don't have her do these parts. With the latter I did make certain she knew the process, but it was reinforcement she didn't need to continue doing. With the former, well, she'd NEVER get the spelling right, so why frustrate her?

Good luck with it. It really works for my daughter, so I'm all for it. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: