Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CLEP tests...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATL Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: CLEP tests... Reply with quote

I've read several posts that refer to CLEP tests for homeschoolers. My niece will finish out the 9th grade in the public school system and begin homeschooling in June.

I'm not to concerned about transcripts or what to cover. However, I had no idea I could let her do CLEP tests.

How and where do I arrange that for her?
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: You can take CLEP tests at any college / university: Reply with quote

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

You can take CLEP tests at any college / university. The fee is $55 per test (plus $15 charged by the testing center, most likely).

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/reg.html
ATL Mom
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Theodore.

I'm so glad I've found this board. It's a wonderful addition to my resources.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the college you're going to accepts them - CLEP tests rock. I took the science one and passed with flying colors. I wish I would have taken more.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Colleges require differing CLEP scores and vary the amount.. Reply with quote

Well, the way it works is that most colleges accept CLEP tests, but at different score levels. So a score of 50 might be acceptable one place, and 60 in another. Also, while some colleges accept a lot of credit through testing, others only allow, say, 20 or 30 credit hours. You'll just have to check with your college of choice to find out how much credit they allow, and what minimum scores you need to pass.
ATL Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had known about CLEP tests when I first started college. I could have saved quite a bit of time and money. However, the colleges do not actively advertize or recruit for CLEP testing.

Thank you for all the information.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Colleges require differing CLEP scores and vary the amou Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Well, the way it works is that most colleges accept CLEP tests, but at different score levels. So a score of 50 might be acceptable one place, and 60 in another. Also, while some colleges accept a lot of credit through testing, others only allow, say, 20 or 30 credit hours. You'll just have to check with your college of choice to find out how much credit they allow, and what minimum scores you need to pass.

It really depends. The only reason I know is because most of the kids that transferred in to Moody (where I went to school) were amazed that their CLEP tests from highschool were accepted. Some of the colleges were insistant that kids take their english, literature and etc classes. So it doesn't hurt to ask the colleges that you're looking into. I'm sure most state colleges will - but private colleges is another story.
degreewiz
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEP tests... Reply with quote

I have been helping an 18 year old HS senior with CLEP. He has earned 48 credits since March. He will probably earn his entire liberal arts degree via credit by examination.

There are other types of exams besides CLEP. DSST and ECE are a few. You can check out www.TestingOutofCollege.com. This is my site. I think it is ok to post it here because I'm not selling anything. If I am violating the terms of use, my apologies.

www.TestingOutofCollege.com
www.DegreeWiz.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: What college is he using for distance learning credits? Reply with quote

I didn't know you could earn an entire degree that way, even through distance learning colleges such as TESC. Does his plan include any portfolio review? What college is he using to put all the credits together?
degreewiz
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What college is he using for distance learning credits? Reply with quote

No portfolio review. Just exams. I have found it much less time consuming to just take the test rather than put together a portfolio for review.

He is either going to register with TESC or Excelsior. I earned my B.S. with Exclesior by testing out of my last three years of college. It took me a little over 7 months.

Most folks don't realize you can earn the entire degree with examination but there are a lot of tests out there that cover a lot of subject matter.

Theodore wrote:
I didn't know you could earn an entire degree that way, even through distance learning colleges such as TESC. Does his plan include any portfolio review? What college is he using to put all the credits together?

www.TestingOutofCollege.com
www.DegreeWiz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: