Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Going to Homeschool...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbrannon
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: I'm Going to Homeschool... Reply with quote

It's known by many in my area that I have an ability to teach very well and I am very thankful for that. I am going to be in college next year but I'm taking a light load of courses. A parent of a friend would love for me to homeschool her high school (11th grade) child in the afternoons. A combination of individual work supervised by her mother in the morning and lessons and discussions in the eveny by me would be optimal.

How do we get started? I have no trouble with whipping up cirricula, I just need to know how this system works. We live in Florida. Is there a type of "standardized" test? Does each course have a test you are supposed to pass? How do we "register" to be homeschooled?

Thank you--this forum seems very helpful and kind.

-McGuire
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: I'm Going to Homeschool... Reply with quote

Well, homeschooling your own child(ren) isn't too difficult. Just mail in a notice of intent, keep a portfolio of work, and submit an annual evaluation. Or you can enroll in an umbrella school to reduce the amount of paperwork:

http://www.fpea.com/Guide/index/css/Guide_3.html

Parents may choose to register their children in a non-public school (parochial, religious, denominational or nontraditional private). These schools are responsible for keeping attendance records and "enrollment registers."

However...

If someone else becomes a child’s primary instructor, whether in the home or not, and if the instruction takes place daily and consistently, then the instructor must hold a valid Florida teaching certificate in the subjects and grades being taught.

You're fine if the child is 16 years or older - the legal requirements no longer apply - but otherwise you'll have to make sure that you remain a secondary instructor, so you aren't required to have a teaching certificate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: