South Carolina Homeschool Organizations and Support Groups
Edit this group : Remove this group
Christian Homeschooler's Association of South Carolina
P.O. Box 51386, Summerville, SC 29485-1386
Contact: Wendy Graham
Phone: (843) 376-3209
We are a third option homeschool accountability group under SC Code of Law section 59-65-47 with members from all counties in South Carolina. Our goal is to provide the services and support our members need so they can successfully home educate their children and to provide support and encouragement for all homeschoolers as we are able. Our board members are all Christian, but we do not require a statement of faith or religious information from our members.
Because SC Code of Law section 59-65-47 does not require standardized testing, nor establish a set length for the school day, members are free to choose what is best for their family. We are here to provide the legal accountability as well as any support needed; but we will not intrude or dictate the individual details that make each family’s homeschool program right for their children. Our membership year is from June 1 to May 31 each year.
CHASC does not provide any curriculum and parents are responsible to keep all records as required by the law.
Members are required to submit the completion form online between May 1 and 31 each school year. Renewals can be filed at the same time or may be done at any time during the year. There is a $5 fee added for renewals after July 31.
In addition to our web page, members are encouraged to join the newsletter group where updates and reminders are emailed when needed to help keep members informed of all that is going on in CHASC and any important information concerning SC homeschool laws.
We assure you that ALL names, addresses, phone numbers and other membership information remain confidential; we do not sell, rent, or share our member mailing list. Additionally, all Board members sign a statement of confidentiality before serving.
Because CHASC is a member of the South Carolina Home Educators’ Association, our members can join SCHEA at the reduced rate of $15 per year.
We are also an HSLDA discount group and CHASC members save 17% ($20) on the annual membership fee, paying $100 instead of $120.
New member: $30
Annual Renewal: $25
Annual Renewal after July 31: $30
Benefits of Membership:
1. Legal establishment of your homeschool under SC Code of Law section 59-65-47.
2. Our membership year runs from June 1 to May 31, but you are free to determine the school schedule that best meets your family’s needs.
3. No testing requirements.
4. Letter of membership emailed to all members; further verification of membership provided as needed upon written request.
5. Support and assistance with forms and requirements for SC Equal Access to Interscholastic Activities Act.
6. Experienced homeschool parents to provide help and support via phone or email.
7. Forms submitted online.
8. Optional email newsletter group for all members.
9. A diploma with the member family’s school name will be provided to graduating seniors upon request.
10. Optional transcript services are available for all students. (additional fee)
11. HSLDA discount group – members save 17% ($20) on annual membership fee, paying $100 instead of $120.
12. SCHEA member – members can join SCHEA at the reduced rate of $15 per year.
To become and remain a CHASC member, you must do the following:
• Complete the online application or renewal and pay the appropriate fees.
$30 New Members
$25 Renewal by July 31
$30 Renewal after July 31
• Be the parent or legal guardian of the child(ren) being taught.
• Parent/teacher must hold and provide proof of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
• Have an instructional year of at least 180 days.
• Include the basic instructional areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies, and in grades seven through twelve, composition and literature.
• Maintain all educational records as prescribed by law:
A plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities in which the student and parent-teacher engage;
A portfolio of samples of the student's academic work;
A semiannual progress report including attendance records and individualized documentation of the student's academic progress in each of the basic instructional areas.
Documentation of the student's academic progress in each of the basic instructional areas specified above.
Copyright ©1993-2014 Home Life, Inc.