Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So overwhelmed but feel homeschooling is the way to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emilyb1
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: So overwhelmed but feel homeschooling is the way to go Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new here and new to this whole home schooling idea. I have three kids my daughter who is 5, and my two boys are 3 and 2. My oldest just started kindergarten. It is an all day 5 days a week school day. My son just started preschool two days a week for three hours. The preschool seems to work great and my kids have loved it. There are so many reasons why I am starting to think homeschool is right for my family. My daughter is very smart. Reading on her own small words and writing anything and everything. But she can be shy and I do not think her teacher grasp what she is capable of. Her little bit of work she brought home is boring to her. I also do not like the time in school and then with the kids activities. Daughter in gymnastics, son in sports and swim lessons on Saturdays for all three. On the days they are in their activities the kids get no time together, or down time on their own. I feel I am just rushing them around.

However the aspect of homeschool seems terrifying and too big. How do I get started? Is there legal steps to take so my kids are not considered not enrolled in anything? I am in Wisconsin about 30 min from Milwaukee. I am not sure if it is best to start with a curriculum or do it on my own. Are there standardized tests still taken? Long term will my kids be ok learning from me? What do I need to get started? I have even more but that can sum it up as of right now. Thank you for any and all advice, words of wisdom or resources that can help me make this decision and get started.

Emily
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people start with a packaged curriculum and then branch out when they get a little more familiar with what's available. We're a bit late in the year for homeschool conventions, but if you have time, you could try attending some local homeschool group meetings and take a look at what everyone else is using. Or you could just buy a packaged curriculum and then use that until the next homeschool convention season, usually May to July, when you'll be able to browse materials from a wide variety of publishers.

As for the legalities, you are supposed to file each year between September 3 and October 15. However, you are exempted from that if you start after September 3, so you're good for this year. You probably want to tell your school you will be homeschooling. 875 hours of instruction annually, including reading, language arts, math, social studies, science and health; no teacher qualifications; no standardized tests.
http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Wisconsin.pdf

Don't worry about failing your kids. You will be fine up through elementary school and early high school (you only have to stay one lesson ahead...), and if you don't feel comfortable after that, there's always community college, online courses, etc. to supplement the more-difficult subjects.
juliaks2007
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is our go to list for every learning subject possible http://juliaandzennan.blogspot.com/2013/08/free-learning-websites-for-kids.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: