Group competition study - opinions?

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

garethjh
User

Group competition study - opinions?

Postby garethjh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 am

I am an adolescent literacy graduate student and I am working on my final thesis. Your feedback will really help me.

In order to better support my son's learning, and give him the opportunity to work with others, I am starting a literacy class in my church, that will be disguised as a bible study. I will meet once a week with middle schoolers, and teach them reading comprehension and writing strategies, then assign them the reading for the week. They will then post their thoughts and reactions to the readings on a secure, monitored website, and respond to each other.

The ideology behind the study is the fact that adolescents tend to push each other to turn out better product when they are writing to one another. It would serve to keep them engaged, while learning and practicing new skills.

If you had the opportunity to put your child in a similar study, would you be interested? Why or why not?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Depends. If they are interested in the subject, then having a discussion group will cause them to write more and therefore hopefully improve. But I'm not sure children will work hard to improve their writing just because other children will be reading it. That requires somewhat of a competitive personality. It would be interesting if you could divide into a number of sub-groups, with all boys, all girls, boys and girls mixed, then see which groups perform best. Boys are more motivated by competition, so I'm willing to bet adding some form of scoring and ranking to the boys group would improve things there, while in the girls group the social aspects would probably be more important.

garethjh
User

Postby garethjh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Thank you for your insights, and for responding.

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”