Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice/support!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
promisesfound
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Need Advice/support!!!! Reply with quote

I am just starting to homeschool my four year old. This has always been a dream of mine but my husband is not so hot on the idea so I have to really prove to him that this works and can be a great thing for us all.

My son, He's super smart-could build a space shuttle out of paper clips, but of course hates any kind of "controlled learning." I know I need to make it fun but as I'm just starting out and trying to get into the groove, get us organized and scheduled I haven't had a lot of time to come up with fun stuff yet. But I do know not to try more than 10-15 min at a time and I try to reward him with little treats etc... just to get the ball rolling.

Here's my frustration. This week, one of the things we have been learning the calendar. I have this small one page calendar and all I've tried to teach him is that the numbers represent the year, and the boxes underneath are months and that there are 12 of them. Then that there are 4 seasons, what they are and what the weather is like in each (it s a berenstein bears book I'm using)

After 5 days all he can tell me is that there are 4 seasons. Cannot name them, cannot tell me how many months there are or even what the numbers at the top of the calendar mean. Am I expecting too much, seems small potatoes to me-especially for a kid of his intellect-so why can't he get this?

Basically he has retained a very little of what we have worked on this week.

School was a struggle for me because I have ADD (though was undiagnosed until adulthood) and I know I would have learned so much better in a homeschool environment. I thought he'd be that way too, he's done some pre-school and he was not good at sitting and listening there either.

The problem is I don't know what to expect from my kid- are my expectations too high? Is it too much to expect him to be able to tell me there are 12 months and that the numbers represent the year-after 5 days of repetition? How do you gage the level your kid should be at? I mean I know all kids are different but there are basic standards. Where do you draw the line of stepping out in faith that this will kick in sooner or later, or facing that you are just not cut out to homeshool your kids?
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ARE cut out to homeschool your son. Smile Don't ever doubt your ability to teach him!

Yes, you are expecting too much.

He is only 4 years old. He is not ready to grasp the concept of a calendar. It's just too confusing right now.

Here is a link where you can see what he needs to learn at what age/grade level. Check out what he needs to know while he is in PRESCHOOL........that's where he is now. Also, look under 'Kindergarten' under the Math section..........you will see "Calendar". Most kindergarteners are 5 when they begin the school year and turn 6 fairly quickly. So he will need to be 5 or 6 before you introduce the concept of a calendar.

Also, remember that the Typical Course of study is a GUIDELINE. Not every child will learn everything right on schedule. That's okay. That's the beauty of homeschooling. You can go at your own pace.

http://worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216

Also, here's a good article about what your 4 year old should know:

http://www.magicalchildhood.com/articles/4yo.htm

Instead of 'teaching' him in the traditional way, you could use educational dvds, fun games on the computer, trips to the public library, board and card games, field trips, hands-on activities, etc.

Sometimes when you sit down to "instruct" your child, it is a turn off for them and they don't pay attention. It's okay when they are older, but when they are young, you might need to trick them. If it's fun, they don't even know that it's "school".

Best wishes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: