Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keeping those preschoolers busy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: keeping those preschoolers busy Reply with quote

here is a great website I found a lot of ideas on: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/preschool_activities.htm

I also came up with another idea - we all know about using magnets and cookie sheets...but sign makers now have great technology and you could order some magnets for whatever you would like...paper dolls even using your kid's pictures, get the vinyl cuts to make a cookie sheet look like a road or neighborhood and use hot wheel cars, story characters, alphabets, the possibilities are endless! My dad is a sign maker and has agreed to make a few sets for us! Yay!

What do you all use to keep your preschoolers busy?
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of our favorite preschool activities.

Other than that we do some simple workbooks, read aloud, and I try to involve the children in my day. They help me cook, clean, fold laundry, etc. I like to get them outdoors, so we may take walks or roller blade. If it's cold out we will go play basketball or soccer at a local gym.

We do alot of art projects. I used to freak out about the mess, but now I think they are fun. Leave lots of interesting materials around. Setting up centers like you said you did in your other post is a great idea.

I also have a one year old so that keeps the older 2 busy. Having a baby around keeps everyone occupied, lol!
southmomof2
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pretty much have a weekly schedule,

Monday & Tuesday mornings are library time(story time is done by the librarian on both days)

Wed and Thur we do simple work sheets that teach tracing and etc then free/simple structured play for the rest of the day, Thursday afternoon is 45mins of "gymnastics" at a center with other girls her age.

Friday we go to Grandma's which usually involves something REALLY cool she gets to do with her
clivetaylor
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can involve the preschooler in different extracurricular activities like painting, pottery, gardening and also could help you cook.
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since kids enjoy pushing, pulling and riding on things, so such activities should also be involved in preschooler activities list.
littlemillennium
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website you have shared is very nice and informative. My son is now 3, and I find that giving him timed activities helps. I allow him to play on the computer for 30 minutes, color and play w/ play doh for another 30 minutes. I know it's especially difficult when it's time to nurse or feed the baby. Sometimes you just do your best to keep your older child busy.
mindy8
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

thank you so much for sharing the site. We do a weekly preschool class with friends and I am always looking for fun tings to do.

Mindy
Mattandavid
User

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, kinda new here
I'm a single mom of a 3.5 yr old and am aware of the fact that technology has changed a lot in our society, and that it is becoming increasingly important to get training/education in subjects related to computers.

As a result, I've exposed her to computers/Ipads at an early age. On long road trips or sometimes even at home when I need a moment to do some laudry or dishes, I give her the computer and she plays educational games

I haven't focused all that much on her handwriting or tracing since I assume that most of her school papers while growing up and eventually her career will involve working off a computer keyboard?

I'm also not focusing too much on arts and crafts. Is this wrong?
I figure she will get some of it here and there, but that I wont waste my time with a lot of those types of things.

thoughts?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! My youngest is 5.5 and in regard to the things you mentioned, this is what I did with her.

She was exposed to computers all her life and iPad the past year or two. I try to limit how much she uses them as toys, though, and encourage her to play with 3-D objects IRL, be outdoors in nature, be in touch with other human beings of all ages and sizes, etc.

I started teaching her the very beginnings of handwriting when she was almost 4. She can now write the whole alphabet and numerals 0-9, but this is a fairly recent development--since her 5th b-day. I consider it very important that children learn to write beautifully in both manuscript printing and cursive before I allow them to start typing their school assignments. That's my personal, old-fashioned opinion.

I started helping her do a craft project once every week or two about the same time I started teaching her to print letters. (We worked on letters for 5 minutes a day or so 1 or 2 days a week.)

I don't think arts and crafts are a waste of time, but I don't think they need to be pushed as much as I've seen some people push them. Children need to be children. They need to play. Play is the work of childhood.

I did hear an impressive lecture one time that said never to teach a child to use scissors until after handedness is well established--at whatever age that happens.

HTH,
Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: