Not sure where to begin!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dkm5189
User

Not sure where to begin!

Postby dkm5189 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 am

elliemaejune
User

Re: Not sure where to begin!

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

dkm5189
User

Postby dkm5189 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm

lilbean05
User

Postby lilbean05 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 am

Welcome!! When we started homeschooling it was all a bit overwhelming, but as you wade through all the things out there, you will settle into a good groove that works for you and your family. We started by reading A Well Trained Mind, at least the beginning which addresses primary school and elementary education, which basically says to read, read, and read some more! So we did. We went to the library and read, brought books home and read, and I stumbled upon the whole idea of using living books (non textbooks) as a source of education.

I would recommend you look at www.amblesideonline.com. It is a website dedicated to creating a curriculum that revolves around living books and how to use books to teach. They have a great selection of books in Year 0 which will be great for your oldest. Read the stories aloud, talk about them, draw pictures about them, and if there is something that seems to grab your child's attention (like bridges or stars or anything) read more about those.

www.homeschoolassessment.com is a good resource for teaching about narration and how to use narration in your home to engage and teach your children from living books.

I hope this is helpful! It seems overwhelming at first, but you will settle into your own as you get comfortable with all the different ways you can homeschool.

Return to “Getting Started”