missouri homeschoolers

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

thecrew74
User

missouri homeschoolers

Postby thecrew74 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 am

hi
i am going to either homeschool my daughter or private school them.
currently i have an 8yr old in school and a 5 yr old at home
im nervous about what will happenwhen i tell the school i will be homeschooling her. i have not found any local groups for support.
is there anyone that has been in this situation?
ty

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:13 pm

I was nervous at first too, but after I made the decision a few other families decided to take their children out too. We decided to make our own support group. WE advertised in the local paper and we found a few more families. If you look around you may be able to start your own group. Some schools may act shocked and hurt that you don't trust them with your children, taking a child out with the right attitude is essential. Don't blame the school, just tell them that you are doing what you feel is in your child's best interest. Some schools will actually try to help you get started, you don't have to use there advice but at least they are noce about it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 am

1. There are several groups in MO. It depends on where in the state you're located. (I know there are good ones in St. Charles and Columbia.)

2. Ask your local librarians. They usually know the hsers in the area, and could give your phone number to them (hsers tend to use the library a lot).

I hope it helps!
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:59 am

I know that having a support group can be helpful, but the truth is that if you come to believe that homeschooling is the best thing for your dc, then you must homeschool them whether you are able to find a support group or not. In fact, in some ways the lack of local homeschooling groups can be a good thing; it is not uncommon for new hsers to become so involved in their groups that they do not develop the strength of their own convictions--and it is so important to have that strength.

I started hsing in 1982. There were no support groups. None. I knew one other hser, and we were close for only about the first 6 mos. I hsed. Eventually there were support groups, and I enjoyed them, but I believe the first year or so that I hsed independently were the most beneficial.

There are TONS of homeschooling discussion forums where you can ask questions and have discussions, on your own time, in your own home.

LauraLeigh
User

Postby LauraLeigh » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm

the crew: I am in Missouri also. I have'nt decided whether or not to hs yet, but i have found a group for homeschoolers on Yahoo. You might try their search engine. :D

kelsey nigus
User

need help here

Postby kelsey nigus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 pm

lishut
User

missouri homeschoolers

Postby lishut » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Lisa

LauraLeigh
User

Postby LauraLeigh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 am

I am also in Missouri.

I found the group i joined, by browsing yahoo search, and i joined a yahoo group.

I only started homeschooling my 3rd grade son 2 weeks ago,but i have been reading and asking questions of the groups members, and it has proven to be a valuable asset. :D

lishut
User

Postby lishut » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:55 am

Hi Lauraleigh,
Love your name by the way!! I will eventually get busy and find people who can help me through the tough spots. I have found that i have found something i am passionate about, i just hope i can keep my kiddos feeling just as passionate. I love learning together and i am re-learning so much!! We use the Ace curriculum right now, first year, but i am exploring other options. What are you using?
Lisa

Return to “Getting Started”