Charlotte Mason Method

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lilybugs
User

Charlotte Mason Method

Postby lilybugs » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:39 am

I use the Charlotte Mason Method translated into laymens terms by Catherine Levison (Charlotte Mason can be difficult to read as she was alive in the early 1800's and used "old" english grammer).
It is inexpensive and lots of fun. BUT it is a way of life, not just a curriculum. It is reffered to as "A living education".
We use lots of literature, art, music, nature and outdoor activity plus copywork, and journaling most especially a nature journal and a Century Of Times Journal.
Having a special needs child, this works great for us as it breaks up the monotony of basic school work and is flexible and hands on. Lots of interest and you work very closely with your child. It is not for those who want to hand over a curriculum and let the child work independently all the time. She does independent work but we work together a LOT and have a great time doing it.
Right now, we are learning about energy, sign language, colonial america (we have a great trunk program at our local art museum where you sign out trunks full of hands on artifacts for free) and the lap harp. We also do a lot of painting and nature journaling.
It does take getting use to but with Catherine Levison's inexpensive books, it was easy to JUMP in and start right away.
We love it!
Let go and let God!

Hilltopmom
User

Question for you

Postby Hilltopmom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:52 am

How many children are you teaching now? If you're teaching more than one, how are you doing that? Are you combining them on levels, doing each one separately?

I've been researching Charlotte Mason for the last week and a half trying to figure out if it's right for us. I love the idea of the girls being responsible for most of their learning and it being an education of the heart and mind. I guess the only thing I'm concerned about is how to fit in all in with 4 different levels and abilities.

Any advice? :?
Mom to 4 girls
dd 9, 3rd grade
dd 7.5, 2nd grade
dd 5.5, K
dd 4, majoring in snacktime

lilybugs
User

Charlotte Mason

Postby lilybugs » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I only teach one child, she is autistic and mild MR. But if you get the book by Catherine Levison about the method (it's called Charlotte Mason-A home schooling how-to manual) it tells you in laymens terms how to start and how to combine levels and it very easy to read. It literally helps you jump right in. It's not very expensive either.

I will be teaching two children soon (another autistic, mild mr child) at a very different level but the great thing about her method is that a LOT of lessons can be combined easily (so I've read!).

I highly recommend this book, though, if you are looking at using this method. It's fantastic and I refer back to it constantly!

Good luck!
Susan
Let go and let God!

Hilltopmom
User

Thanks

Postby Hilltopmom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Susan, Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the book. I don't think I'm fully understanding the method yet.
Cindy
Mom to 4 girls

dd 9, 3rd grade

dd 7.5, 2nd grade

dd 5.5, K

dd 4, majoring in snacktime

lilybugs
User

Catherine Levison

Postby lilybugs » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:39 pm

She is the best resource on Charlotte Mason and makes it SO easy to understand and truly start immediately. I just happened to be online when I got your post, so it was good timing for both of us. :)
Susan
Let go and let God!

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:48 pm

May I ask what type of notebook you use for your nature book/journal? I want to starts one soon with ds and wonder what holds up best? Thanks!

lilybugs
User

Postby lilybugs » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:58 pm

I went to a craft/art store and got a mid-size water color (the sheets are thicker) book that was bound spirally. It works well and she can paint in it if she doesn't feel like pencil drawing.
I used 3-d bottle paint (you can get at a wal-mart for 88 cents a bottle) "Lily's Nature Journal 2006-2007" and let her use the paint bottles for making some flowers, trees and such on the front. The bottles are tiny but go a long way.
Let go and let God!

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks- that's a great idea! :idea:

clang100205
User

Postby clang100205 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:02 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”