hello,new here

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

schoolymum
User

hello,new here

Postby schoolymum » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:48 pm

hi all,I am from england,I have been looking for support and here I am!!my little one is four,I am wondering when to start home schooling,and what I do first to make sure I am being legal and doing all I should

thankx

schoolymum
-censored-

Theodore

At age 4, your child should be able to handle:

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Any time now is fine. At age 4, your child should be able to handle letters and numbers and even phonics and reading. If you're buying your curriculum, a phonics program and packaged kindergarten should amply cover your needs.

As for the legalities of homeschooling in England:
http://www.education-otherwise.org/Legal/IndexToLegalBits.htm

And some support groups:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/england-uk.html

schoolymum
User

thankx

Postby schoolymum » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:22 am

oh yeh,have been schooling him a while,I just wanted to make sure that legally,I wot get into trouble at all.I mean I was told that as long as I dont put him into a school nursery,then we wont get any hassle from anywhere.
we have been teaching him numbers/erading etc for a while,as we do as parents.and he is doing greatly :)

thankx for your response,its appreciated,I cant find any support groups here in my home town,so this makes me feel much better

manders
-censored-

Juloyes
User

another idea...

Postby Juloyes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Since your little one is only 4, you can always keep it simple with June Oberlander's Slow and Steady book. My friend, Debbie, though, found Vertias' Phonics museum to be wonderful for her 4 almost 5 year old. He got through the kindergarten portion rather quickly and is now beginning his first grade in classical education. I've been homeschooling a very short time, but everyone i've talked to says to just read, read, read. A great book to buy is Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. It's basically a list of quality children's literature for every age of child. It gives you suggestions on how to make the most of your time together reading. I've bought a lot of the books for my 3 year old, or you can check out from the library. Our town is small and there is no official support system either, so I can understand how you feel!
Julie

schoolymum
User

hi julie

Postby schoolymum » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:54 am

how sweet of you to write and share.
well,you know many comment on how clever and how finn speaks so well.a few respect greatly that we are homeschooling,though i still feel a little alone.

my brother moved in recently,and he is being physical education teacher which is great just to have that extra support.

we do read alott,though finn takes over and wants to tell us the story!!bless him.

yours is 3 aw!!how many do u have?

I have this one finn(4) and another little chap soon to be 2!

hugs

manders
-censored-

Return to “Getting Started”