H i I am new

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bettyd
User

H i I am new

Postby bettyd » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:09 pm

I want to home school my 12 yr daughter starting in september of 06.
what do I need to do to get everything started for september? or when can i start? Thanks in advance
God bless betty d

Theodore

Here's some information on homeschooling in NJ:

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Legalities of homeschooling in NJ
http://www.enochnj.org/pagegen.cgi?opcode=legres

Homeschool support groups in NJ
http://www.home-school.com/groups/NJ.html

Homeschool curriculum
http://www.home-school.com/mall/

Probably the best thing to do as far as curriculum goes is to attend a support group meeting and get info from everyone on what they use for curriculum and why. Then pick something that sounds like it goes well with your teaching style and/or your daughter's learning style. Short of this, you can look at the various packaged curriculums and just go with a complete grade level. This should do fine until you get more comfortable with homeschooling and have time to customize your curriculum for each topic area.

bettyd
User

Thank you

Postby bettyd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:16 am

I checked out all the stuff , last evening and this morning. I seen diffrent ideas , i may do. I also seen a couple sites that you enroll your child to be taught to online or go by their cirriculum. How does this work? and what are the pros and cons of this. I seen one Called CLASS? Does anyone now or have ever before used CLASS? I am just curious.
God bless betty d

Theodore

Online courses are actually quite good for supplementing...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Online courses are actually quite good for supplementing regular curriculum once you get to the high school level. My siblings use Apex Learning quite a bit, and we've also taken courses from Escondido Tutorial Service (classical education) and Scholar's Online Academy (classical, accredited, with a full range of courses). You might also look at the resources on our Online Academies page.

SOPHIE
User

CLASS

Postby SOPHIE » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 am

Are you referring to CLASS: Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School?
If so, they are a Christian publisher that you can enroll your child in either independantly or through them directly and they do the paperwork and keep records for you. They pick the curriculum for your child's grade level, most of which is biblically based.

bettyd
User

CLASS

Postby bettyd » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:41 am

Yes Thats them? Do you know if they are ok? Is that a way to go sometimes? Or is better to do all the work yourself?
God bless betty d

SOPHIE
User

class

Postby SOPHIE » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:33 am

It's really what you're comfortable with. We used them our first year of homeschooling, but did it independantly, doing the paperwork ourselves. This way we could go at our own pace. But you have to plan the lessons yourself. I haven't used them since that year, so they might've changed it since then. I went with A Beka book's homeschooling curriculum the next year. It is much more accelerated and challenging, but the lessons are planned for you and they are easy to follow. A Beka may cost more as well. CLASS worked for us that first year, but I defenitely preferred A Beka. It may work better if you enroll with their school and have them keep the records. There's more accountability when you do it that way.
A Beka also has a program where you can enroll them with Lighthouse Academy, and they can also keep records for you. Or you can just use their curriculum and be independant with your own record keeping. There are a lot of choices out there with a lot of websites that can help keep it all straight for you. ABeka's web address is www.abeka.com.

Return to “Getting Started”