New to Homeschooling

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Elizabeth86
User

New to Homeschooling

Postby Elizabeth86 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:58 am

Currently I am homeschooling my oldest son for his first year of school in Kindergarten. I have been told again and again to keep K simple and I have.

This is what we do

Phonic - The Reading Lesson
We read books together
Writing - We just practice in a basic dollar store alphabet workbook
Math - Singapore Math Essentials Workbook

We have dabbled in Five in a Row, but get wrapped up in blogs and pinterest and try to do way to much and waste too much time planning that I don't have, so I'm working on a different approach for science and social studies for K. I made a list based on state standards of what he'd cover in public school and just piecing together lesson based on this for science and social studies. I like this approach, but I don't like piecing it together.

I am already thinking about 1st grade next year because I'm having a terrible time thinking about what curriculum might work.

Anyone want to make some suggestions?

Religious or secular, I'm good either way.

I feel I need something that require minimal planning. I'm super busy, I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old too.

I lean toward traditional like bju or a beka, but I'm so scared because so many say that it is really tough. Also, cost isn't a big factor, my husband promised $1000 from our tax return to buy curriculum, but I'm just scared spending that much money and then hating it. What would I do then?

I LOVE the thought of the literature based ones like book shark, moving beyond the page, sonlight, but it doesn't seem the traditional approach to school and that worries me.

I have no idea what the future holds, but it is my desire to homeschool the early years and then private or public school as they get older. Maybe somewhere from 4-6 th grade we would make that transition if they felt ready. I don't feel confident about the older years and it is my desire for them to go out and experience the world away from me in school, but just not at 4 years old. I feel there is a lot to be gained to have them home when they are little.

Sorry I'm so nervous about this, I'm just a really black and white person and this gray area of curriculum choice is killing me. I do best when I am told I must do a. b. and c. I need to mark things off lists.

Thanks for your help. If I left out any info that might be helpful just ask.

Elizabeth86
User

Re: New to Homeschooling

Postby Elizabeth86 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 am

Also I wanted to ask do you think it is "ok" to do something light like the let's read and find out science books for the early grades. I also think the magic school bus series seems like a LOT of fun. And maybe the year before we do public or private school do a more traditional approach. My fear is just that I won't have ready for school when he starts that I will make him behind. THat's my biggest fear. I just have no idea what they are doing in public schools these days. I know they teach science and social studies in K, but what grade are they actually tested in these areas?

Elizabeth86
User

Postby Elizabeth86 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:42 am

Also, has anyone used this called Learn at home?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07696 ... QQEGCY4JVT

That seems just what I've been looking for for science and social studies at least.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Elizabeth86
User

Postby Elizabeth86 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:48 am

I thought The Reading Lesson was the phonics approach. See how lost I am already?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 am

Servant of 1 kitteh

Elizabeth86
User

Postby Elizabeth86 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:03 pm

After you burst my happy bubble of The Reading Lesson will get the job done, I've been looking elsewhere. Do you have anything negative or positive about McRuffy. I've had others recommend that curriculum. Do they use the phonics approach? Is it a solid method for learning to read? I'm thinking my son would love the worksheets.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:06 pm

Servant of 1 kitteh

Homelearners
User

Postby Homelearners » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:33 pm

We take it one year at a time. For kinder we kept it simple. We used the Bob books for reading and really liked them. Lots of learning games and having fun. I tried to schedule an activity at least once a week so we could get out of the house and socialize. There are so many curriculum choices out there it really is hard to choose. I would recommend asking around to other homeschoolers in your area to see what they have used and liked/disliked. If possible see if you can find some used that you try out. With time you begin to figure what works for you and what doesn't.

kryst
User

Postby kryst » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am

I typically plan out a month at a time – leaving room for any holidays, out-of-town trips, etc. that would take us away from our usual routine. There is no need to be strict and rigid with your schedule. One of the most beautiful things about homeschooling is the flexibility it provides. Don’t be afraid to embrace that. (Yes, an extremely task-oriented goal is giving you permission to do this. https://asapwriters.com)

Now, for my #1 homeschool organization tip: On Sunday night, I lay out any items/supplies I want to use in the coming week. Once a busy week begins, everything I need is right there at my fingertips…which ensures the activities will actually happen as I hope.

I like to brainstorm ahead of time about what kinds of activities my child will enjoy doing. Does your child love board books? Puzzles? Do you own any educational toys/games that they especially enjoy? Is your little one artistic? Musical? Consider these kinds of questions and then tailor your homework help activities to their interests. This guarantees they will enjoy learning with you which is most definitely the number one goal!

OliveMay90
User

Postby OliveMay90 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:52 am

When I first started out with Home Schooling we relied heavily on https://www.twinkl.fi/ to ensure that we fully covered the curriculum and we really valued their https://www.twinkl.fi/resources/home-early-years/early-years-communication-and-language-and-literacy Phonics resources as the curriculum was so difficult to get my head around at first.

Tes also have some great resources on offer to add a little bit of guidance and support.

ConnyFeldt
User

Postby ConnyFeldt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 am

I can only agree with Olive!

Although I like TES, I do find them a bit clinical. My little ones are very young still, so I prefer the look and style of Twinkl for my home-schooling resources.

Something I found worked really well when I started out was doing outdoor activities and integrating lessons into play slowly. I use activities like this https://www.twinkl.at/resource/au-t-3745-five-senses-scavenger-hunt-worksheet or this https://www.twinkl.at/resource/t-t-289813-forest-school-activities-challenge-cards that use the environment :)

Thanks for the tips - I'm starting to look at sites that stick to the curriculum, so it's great to know the ones I've been using do! :)

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”