Our first three days......

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MOMS
User

Our first three days......

Postby MOMS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Well, this is our 1st year homeschooling & today was day #3.......
My kids are 8, 5, 3 & 10 months.......
.....We only spend about 1/2 the time doing actual school work than when they were in school, is that normal? I'm so worried about not getting in enough, the right things, etc......all the "what if's" are just constantly running through my mind. But I just LOVE having my kids home all day & not missing out on their lives for the 8+ hrs a day they used to be gone.

I don't kno what I'm looking for, I guess I just needed to get that out???
Married to Big Hondo <~ luv this guy ;)
StevieRay (12)
Sato (8 )
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:40 am

I'm sure you are getting plenty of school work done. It doesn't take long to accomplish your studies when you are not in a classroom of 25-30 students. Think about this...............do you know how much time is wasted in the classroom of a traditional school? Trips to the bathroom, announcements, putting things away, passing out papers, behavior problems that have to be dealt with, lining up and walking down the hallways, etc. etc. Then there are the special times -- like holidays, spirit week, birthdays.............when there are parties, distractions, etc.

You don't have any of that in your home! It is quite normal to say that you only do actual school work for half of the time -- especially considering the ages of your children. When they are in high school, their studies will take longer, but right now, it shouldn't take long at all. My youngest son is 8 and he is done with his basic "check list" in a couple of hours or less.

nmartin03
User

Postby nmartin03 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 am

Even though I was homeschooled I had the same worry when I started 1st grade with my son and it was taking me 2 1/2 hours maybe 3 to finish all the school work, but as pointed out, you are teaching one on one with your kids instead of a classroom of 25-30 students, it's just something that takes a little time to get use to.

Return to “Getting Started”