How to start with a 3 year old bi-lingual child?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

cokule
User

How to start with a 3 year old bi-lingual child?

Postby cokule » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:42 pm

My daughter speaks two languages. I don't speak English to her, but a babysitter does, who spends about 20 hours per week with her. I would like to start teaching her in English, I have great command of the language, but don't know how to start and with what. I also have a 10 month old who nurses and wants me all the time. Any suggestions from someone in similar situation would be appreciated.

Even if you just have children of similar ages and show me how you did it, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, after the arrival of the second baby my older one lost interest in books and before she was enhaling them. She is jelous of the baby and has resorted to baby behavior, but when I try to work with her after the baby goes to bed, about 7 PM, I could just tell she devours the attetntion. But I am afraid that may not be enough time to catch up from missing the entire day.

I believe I should start teaching her to read, I just don't know how.

mandiana
User

Postby mandiana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm

I would suggest Time4Learning. I've heard they have a great online pre-school program.

Also, I haven't looked into this site thoroughly, so it may be a little old (though it says it's for all ages) for her, but this is a site that helps children learn English:

http://www.mingoville.com
Time4Learning Florida state rep

cokule
User

Postby cokule » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. I really want to start by teaching her to read English, but it's not the easiest language to learn to read/spell.

Please keep your answers coming which web sites you used to teach reading at 3 years of age.

Charityb
User

Postby Charityb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:51 pm

3 is young to start reading, but it can be done. We have used Starfall.com for our kids. It starts out with them learning letters and the sounds that they make, and then moves into simple reading and then more. My daughter did start reading at 3, and loved this site. She still loves to go there. Hope this helps.

Charityb
User

Postby Charityb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 am

I also used letteroftheweek.com. They have a curriculum that you can print out and use that is a different letter and theme each week. It is pretty good too.

Return to “Getting Started”