Another newbie!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Tizzylish
User

Another newbie!

Postby Tizzylish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi everyone!! My family just relocated to Florida from Pennsylvania about a week ago. We live in Polk County and just enrolled our two daughters in 5th and 3rd grade into public school. I have to say just enrolling them was a nightmare. We were told we had to go to the department of health to have their immunizations recorded onto a "blue card." While there they misread their files and wanted to give our daughter a second round of shots she already had, and this happened twice with two different people. After all was finally settled we get to the school only to find out they forgot to record one of my daughters MMR's so she was denied access to school. After clearing that up we actually got to see the school and I have to say we were less than impressed. We dropped our DD's off and regretted it the whole way home.

So, we are thinking of pulling them from this school and home schooling. I am already a stay at home mom, so I may as well school them myself right? Problem is there is soooo much info my head is spinning!!!

Anyone know where to start? I am on a budget due to the move, so the friendlier to the pocket the better right now. Also I am not looking for any faith based teaching. I have found the site that gives you the laws, so that is a good start, right?

Thanks for any help you can provide!! :?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Knowing the laws of your state is a VERY good start!

Many homeschoolers suggest a period called deschooling. The rule of thumb is for every year your child has been enrolled in a public/private school, take one month to deschool. Unfortunately, I found out about this concept too late to use it. From what I understand, you focus on getting to know each other all over again, no formal learning (although, I'm sure they'll learn PLENTY!), sleep in, have fun, trips to museums, etc. (whatever you can afford). Deschooling will vary from family to family, just as our homeschools do.

I have no advice on curricula, as I use all Christian. There are several parents that I can think of on this board that will be able to help.

I'm sorry you and your family had such a troubling experience with the PS. If you choose to HS, I don't think you'll regret it. I am a smidge biased, though. :wink:

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

I think the best thing to do is to take it one step at a time. There IS a lot to process if you try to do everything at once.

You are right on target by finding out your state's laws. That's the most important first step. Once you understand your state's laws and are sure you are in compliance with them, start learning about the different ways to homeschool and get a feel for how you want to approach things.

There are many different homeschooling methods. Some popular ones are:

Textbook/Workbook
Classical Homeschooling
Charlotte Mason
Unit Studies
Online/Computer-Based
Unschooling

Think about your children's learning styles and their strengths/weaknesses. Think about how you are as a family. Do you like to get out and do things? Do you like a structured schedule? Flexibility? Hands on projects? How much time do you want spend on school?

Then start taking a look at different products. Here's a link that lists some popular secular programs.

Good luck!

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 pm

Your story is very common. Many of us were instant homeschoolers :-)

My best recommendation is to join HSLDA, and to visit your local teacher supply store and pick up stuff to get you started--just basic, simple, inexpensive workbooks and whatnots, enough to satisfy any legal requirements. Your dc can begin doing those while *you* begin doing more research.

You can start your research with Mary Pride's Big Books of Homeschooling.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”